clock position of timing advancer sleeve incorrect

More
16 Jun 2010 08:57 #376059 by radon220
Bike is an 81 kz440 with electronic ignition. I've discovered that the cam on the timing advancer sleeve is at the wrong clock position. The simple question I have is: Can the cam be removed from the sleeve and re-attached in the proper position? I have a slightly damaged sleeve known to be in the correct position which I can use for reference.

Here's the non-reader's digest version of the story leading up to my discovery. The bike idled and ran poorly with multiple symptoms. I first suspected the timing, though couldn't test it because I couldn't get it to idle at a reasonable idle speed, and couldn't get it to run at WOT either. So I discovered the advancer unit is completely siezed up with rust. While trying to free it, I broke a weight. So I ordered a used piece off eBay. On receipt, I lubed it up, installed it, and idle and WOT running improved enough to test the timing. Timing was retarded by a few degrees but the discrepancy was identical at both idle and WOT. Uncertain why at that point, I also still had rough running symptoms not necessarily attributable to slightly retarded timing. So I checked the carbs again and realized I failed to properly adjust the float level AND didn't plug the main jet hole in the float chamber. Ok, easy fixes. While the form-a-gasket cures, I checked the resistance across the coil. No continuity across plug wire terminals and too little resistance on primary winding. Order replacement. Install carbs and new coil. Again improved idle and WOT, but timing still slightly retarded. I swapped back to the old timing advancer, which is broken and siezed, but useable. It's siezed in a position simulating WOT, which gives me a reference point to test the timing. Timing test is spot-on. I pry the sleeve off the siezed advancer unit (chipping a piece off the base of the sleeve in the process) and compare it to the replacement one from eBay. The clock position of the cam on the replacement sleeve is off by about 30 degrees compared to the one I confirmed gives me proper timing. Not sure how that would happen. I'm going to try the slightly broken sleeve on the working advancer base next. But it would be nice to be able to alter the position of the cam on the unbroken sleeve.

Don in CT
81 KZ440 LTD belt drive

Don in CT
81 KZ440-D2 belt drive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2010 14:54 #376133 by steell
You sure you didn't buy a four cylinder advancer on eBay?

You can press the cam off the shaft and re-clock it, I know Loudhvx did it on a 650 advancer.

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.