Valve shims...Willing to let me borrow?

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
15 Jun 2010 11:34 - 15 Jun 2010 11:37 #375890 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Valve shims...Willing to let me borrow?
Yeah, with shim-under-bucket bikes, it's a bit of a pain. As mentioned above, if you don't have a manual--get one. You'll need it.

Here's a link to another thread that tells you where you can find an online manual.

West Linn, OR
Last edit: 15 Jun 2010 11:37 by Skyman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
15 Jun 2010 11:38 #375892 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Valve shims...Willing to let me borrow?
BSKZ650 wrote:

also since you are wanting to do this in one day I would have Heli Coil sets ready to go just incase you strip out a cam bolt during the process

VERY good advice. B)

West Linn, OR

• shizzomynizzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2010 12:06 - 15 Jun 2010 12:12 #375895 by shizzomynizzo
Replied by shizzomynizzo on topic Valve shims...Willing to let me borrow?
BSKZ650 wrote:

Your talking about doing the head, as in a valve job? or are you just going to adj the valves?

No valve job, just adjusting.

I have not taken the valve cover off to check clearances because I KNOW they need to be done. The valves chatter more than a 13 year old girl the day she gets her first cell phone!!!

I originally thought the noise was the cam chain, but after further investigation the cam chain is okay.

There is 9k miles on the bike, and the original owner never did the valves, he told me so.

I did a little research on the subject, and I do have the FSM, both online and paperback copy. I plan to use zip ties in order to avoid messing the timing up.

I guess I now need a magnet, zip ties, and a 6 pack, no wait a 12 pack!

24 hours in a day...24 beers in a case

1981 KZ550 ***SOLD***
1982 KZ1100 A2
Last edit: 15 Jun 2010 12:12 by shizzomynizzo.

More
15 Jun 2010 12:11 #375896 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Valve shims...Willing to let me borrow?
you might want to post your location in your signature to see if there is a member close to you who can help or swap shims with you.

i'm really not trying to be rude here but that is a HUGE favor to ask when you are such a new member.

z1 sells the shims for around $5 apiece.
most of the members here have extra shims and some of us have a very large collection.

i personally have a set of well over 200 shims in every size offered. some more common one's of course.
at $5 a shim that's easily $1000 kit your asking to borrow.

i know you don't want any down time in the peak riding season, i understand that all so well.

like it has been suggested, measure and swap some you all ready have around and i'm sure someone will swap you for what you need to keep the old girl going properly.

who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and don't need any.

did you even measure them yet?

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
15 Jun 2010 12:18 - 15 Jun 2010 12:30 #375898 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic Valve shims...Willing to let me borrow?
He said he has not, but is sure the bike needs them at 9K mi. Shims under buckets don't change much. I bought a '91 Zephyr 750 with 9K mi. Never had valves done, and at 20K still did not need it, even though two were near the limits. Eventually I decided to do it. I used the zip ties so did not have any problem. But gave myself a week. I do have a garage.

Even If I had had the shims. I spent a lot a time just scraping the old gasket residues off the head.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2010 12:30 by hugo.

More
15 Jun 2010 14:30 #375918 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve shims...Willing to let me borrow?
BSKZ650 wrote:

also since you are wanting to do this in one day I would have Heli Coil sets ready to go just incase you strip out a cam bolt during the process

You also need a small range torque wrench because the cam cap bolts torque to about 100 inch pounds which is only about 8 foot-pounds.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Jun 2010 14:32 #375919 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve shims...Willing to let me borrow?
kawsakiman wrote:

you might want to post your location in your signature to see if there is a member close to you who can help or swap shims with you.

i'm really not trying to be rude here but that is a HUGE favor to ask when you are such a new member.

z1 sells the shims for around $5 apiece.

If your local dealers are not complete jerkwads, they will usually swap shims.

1979 KZ-750 Twin