Engine case assembled. extra parts.

More
12 Jun 2010 12:29 #375275 by idkleine
Engine case assembled. extra parts. was created by idkleine
So I'm building a kz650 engine. I have the case halves bolted together and the oil pan on. I was cleaning up the work area and I found 2 parts I cannot find homes for. One of them is a washer/spacer that appears to be slightly oil canned and says "outside" on one side. Its I.D. is approx 20cm. I'm 99% sure it does not go on either of the transmission shafts, And I'm 98% sure I got the 2 spacers on the jack shaft in that go on either side of the starter clutch. I'm thinking maybe it goes on the kick start shaft? Hopefully on the outside of the case. I added the kick start on during this build, It did not have one before. Any ideas? It seems like to crude of a part to go on one of the major shafts. I'm a bit worried. The other part is a small steel ball. There is a steel ball in the hollow bolt that goes through the oil filter. That one is in. And there is a steel ball that goes in the oil check valve thingee that threads into the top of the oil pan (inside the engine). That one is in as well. I do have a book and I couldn't find a third ball in the parts diagrams. There is a slim possibility that it migrated from a different project, but I can't think of what it would have come from. Anyone have any clues for me? Here are pics - Oh yes and Im not sure about the third part either but I think its from something else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2010 12:32 #375276 by idkleine
Replied by idkleine on topic Engine case assembled. extra parts.

More
12 Jun 2010 12:58 #375277 by idkleine

More
12 Jun 2010 13:43 - 12 Jun 2010 14:14 #375282 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Engine case assembled. extra parts.
The washer marked 'outside' should sit behind the clutch basket - the side marked 'outside' should face (drumroll) outside. Sorry if you already installed the clutch basket, hub and plates, if so you have to do it over again, that spacer needs to be there.

The steel ball goes between the clutch push rod and the lifter 'mushroom', remove the lifter plate, pull out the 'mushroom', insert the ball and reassemble.

The third part is a dowel pin, a couple of places it could go, what's the outer diameter of it?

Good looking engine btw, nice job on the covers too.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2010 14:14 by OnkelB.

More
12 Jun 2010 14:10 - 12 Jun 2010 14:11 #375284 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Engine case assembled. extra parts.
Click pic to enlarge:

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2010 14:11 by OnkelB.

More
12 Jun 2010 16:49 - 12 Jun 2010 16:52 #375324 by idkleine
YES! Man you just made my day my friend. Thank you. I was thinkin that I was going to have to tear the oil pan off again and its gooped on there pretty good. I actually haven't "installed" the clutch basket yet, I just kind of set it in there with out springs and put the cover on because I'm moving back to Alaska in a few days and I don't have time to finish. The clutch has no rivets right now and I need rubber dampers as well. I can't find a source for either so I'm a little stumped. I have a lathe in Alaska so I can probably make the rivets. I saw a thread on here once about DIY clutch rivet and damper stuff but I can't for the life of me find it again. Anyways I dont mind if it takes a long time as long as its done right. I replaced the main bearings, some of the trans bearings even though they were fine, cam chain, Primary chain, all rubber seals and o rings, Gonna get a "One extra" clutch kit from APE. Did both wheels with s.s. spokes from buchanans and sun alum. rims. Metzler 880s front and rear, Powder coated damn near every piece of steel on the thing and put a whole lot of s.s. fasteners on it. really going the extra mile on this one. This is actually the 3rd time Ive tore this bike down but the first time Ive done the bottom end. Here is the first time:

Then this happened:

And the second time:

And apparently I wasn't happy with that so here I am again with a house full of motorcycle parts.
But hey, You know what they say. Harley riders are a dime a dozen but a true biker is a rare breed.
For no logical reason. I love this damn bike.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2010 16:52 by idkleine.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
12 Jun 2010 16:54 #375326 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Engine case assembled. extra parts.
You deserve a pat on the back :) Very nice job on that motor!!!

More
13 Jun 2010 00:42 #375391 by idkleine
Yes dowel pin. I will find its home soon. I think its quite a bit bigger than the ones for the case halves. I don't have any civilized inspection tools at hand but its about 13.5mm. Hopefully its not from the shifter side cover. I gooped that on as well. The 2 dowel pins for the case halves went in of course so It must be for the clutch cover or maybe something that strayed from the top end somewhere. Looks a bit like a cam guide cap dowel maybe? I have to put the project away for a week or so. I'm finishing it 200 miles from where it is right now. Not an ideal time to move obviously but its gotta be done. But even though I can't finish it right now, I'm gonna sleep better knowing where those 2 parts go.

More
13 Jun 2010 00:47 #375393 by idkleine
The other possibility is that it is a starter bushing from my 63 vw bug. or possibly a part from my.. no wait your right. Its a dowel pin.

More
13 Jun 2010 01:01 #375395 by thompsonmx100
Replied by thompsonmx100 on topic Engine case assembled. extra parts.
I think that might be a dowel pin for the top case to cylinder area.engine looks good. want to come over and do mine

2006 gs 500 streetfighter
1982 gpz750 breathed on wreck
1985 gpz750
Kz 650