The wrong kind of Kaw triple

More
12 Jun 2010 09:41 #375255 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic The wrong kind of Kaw triple

I'm still a bit confused, though. Even if the #2 carb were overfilling, wouldn't the needle allow about the same amount of fuel into the combustion chamber?

Nope. The fuel level directly impacts the air-fuel ratio. At small throttle openings, all or nearly all of the fuel flows through the low speed circuit. As the throttle is opened more, the carb transitions from low speed (pilot) operation to the main jet. In both cases, what comes out of the jets in not pure gasoline, it is an air-fuel mix. If the fuel level is too high, then fuel can enter the emulsion passages that are supposed to introduce air into the fuel, hence causing a rich condition. If the fuel level is really high, it can force gasoline through the main jet before there is demand for it, causing an even richer condition.
If the fuel level is too low, it can cause too much air to be introduced into the jets, or even prevent the jets from picking up any gasoline at all.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2010 09:56 #375259 by Skonnie Boy
Replied by Skonnie Boy on topic The wrong kind of Kaw triple
Of course, the slow jets. I get it now.

Possibly unrelated: Clymer says 650 carbs either had a pilot screw or an air screw. Mine has both. Is Clymer wrong or did someone Frankenstein my carbs? Doesn't seem possible to combine the two...

'77 kz650C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.