Clutch/transmission problem?

More
01 Jun 2010 08:56 #372578 by chrispysaki
Clutch/transmission problem? was created by chrispysaki
I opened the bike up pretty hard the other day, and around 80-90 mph in 4th gear something happened. I lost power, but the engine revved really high, like it jumped down to third gear or the clutch engaged.

Now the bike runs pretty well, doesn't jump gears or anything, but it feels like the clutch is slipping a bit when I open the throttle - it just doesn't have quite the same power it did before this incident. My friction plates were near the service limit before, and I scuffed up the metal plates, so I'm assuming I just need new friction plates.

Is there a chance that it's more than that? I really hope I didn't just kill the transmission.

Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2010 09:11 #372582 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic Clutch/transmission problem?
I'm betting clutch plates... and I'd suggest if you're going to be getting on it like that, you replace the crappy weak stock springs and replace them with some heavier springs from Barnett or whichever product you like best.

Running an old twin they are one of the first things I replace.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
01 Jun 2010 09:55 #372588 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Clutch/transmission problem?
Pooped clutch plates seems likely.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
01 Jun 2010 12:54 #372617 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Clutch/transmission problem?
try adjusting your clutch first,its slipping B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
01 Jun 2010 13:56 #372624 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Clutch/transmission problem?
I'm with Plummen here. Adjust that cable first, it's free. If that doesn't work then order a clutch cover gasket and get inside and have a look. I'm betting that your friction plates are done. If you have to get in there, do as Capt America says and replace the springs as well. There cheaper than the new oil and gasket will be if you don't replace them, and have to get in there again if your clutch still slips after you replace the disks.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
01 Jun 2010 17:17 #372676 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch/transmission problem?
If not already done, would first perform clutch pushrod adjustment.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jun 2010 22:37 #372759 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Clutch/transmission problem?
Thanks all...friction plates and springs are on the way. I was pretty surprised that this happened after taking the head & cylinders off and adjusting the valve clearances and cams/timing.

I've been riding it pretty hard for the last month and nothing like this happened, so I immediately thought the worst. I guess there was just enough extra power there after the adjustments to reveal the plate wear.

The good news is that I rechecked the valve clearances & cam timing/sprockets and everything is perfectly within spec. It's pretty nice knowing I did at least one thing right with this bike!