clutch cable

More
25 May 2010 16:27 #370866 by davesschevy
clutch cable was created by davesschevy
I have a 82 kz1000 that I recently changed the bars on. I went with a set of shorter bars and had to change the mastercylinder. The bike was running great on a few short trips around town. Today I got adventurous and took it on a 200 mile jaunt and halfway here the clutch started slipping. I didn't change the cable when I changed the bars and I have tried adjusting the screw at the lever. I am not all the familiar with working on bikes, is there another adjustment I should be making, should I try to find a shorter cable or maybe it might have the clutch burnt out. If anyone has any tips, I would greatly appreciate them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2010 17:57 - 25 May 2010 17:59 #370896 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic clutch cable
Welcome to the madness.

First, if you are using a fuel-saving automotive motor oil, drain it. The friction modifiers may cause the slippage. Replace it with OMR's favorite oil. ;)

Second, there are three adjustment points for the clutch cable.
-In the middle of the cable, near the header pipe, there is an adjuster. Loosen the lock nut and shorten the adjuster all the way. Then loosen the lock nut on the adjuster at the lever all the way and back the adjuster out until about 1/4 inch of thread shows.
Then remove the clutch adjuster cover, it is on the side of the tranny above the shift lever. It is rectangular and is held on by two screws. Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw until you feel it make contact with the release rod. You may have to back the screw out a little first. Once it has made contact, turn it 1/4 turn CLOCKWISE and tighten the lock nut. Install the cover
Go back to the mid-cable adjuster. Lengthen it until the slack is gone and there is no play at the lever. TIghten the lock nut.
Turn the lever adjuster until there is about 1/8 inch of free play. Tighten the lock nut.
GET A FACTORY SHOP MANUAL.

Ride it like you stole it.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 25 May 2010 17:59 by TexasKZ.

More
28 May 2010 20:59 #371772 by davesschevy
Replied by davesschevy on topic clutch cable
Thanks, made the adjustments and the bike ran great on return ride home.