still trying to get my engine together

More
25 May 2010 15:07 #370853 by idkleine
still trying to get my engine together was created by idkleine
I'm putting together a 81' kz650csr engine and I was wondering if I can assemble the case halves without the clutch basket installed? I don't see why not but wanted to check with the pros. Thanks
D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2010 18:55 #370912 by idkleine
Replied by idkleine on topic still trying to get my engine together
I have another question. There are two dowel pins between the case halves. one near each end of the crankshaft. I noticed that in the very rear of the case there are holes that appear to be for a third dowel pin. I'm pretty sure there was no pin there before but I suppose there's some slim chance it could have fell out somewhere. Anyone know? I'm guessing it was used for alignment when they bored the case but I don't know too much about these things. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

More
26 May 2010 09:32 #371044 by idkleine
Anyone? I'm gonna bolt this sucker together tonight. Would love some reassurance.

More
26 May 2010 12:59 - 26 May 2010 13:01 #371109 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic still trying to get my engine together
Yes, on the 650 you can bolt the cases together before installing the clutch basket.

As you say, two dowel pins behind the crankshaft, there's no dowel pin at the rear - don't know what the hole is for, but no dowel pin.

A word of caution: in the upper crank case you'll see two small dowels, one on each side at the end of the transmission shafts. Make sure these dowels are mated to the holes in their corresponding transmission shaft bearing caps.

Also make sure the bearing locating rings (the two crescent shaped things) are positioned correctly into the groove in the crankcase and into the corresponding groove in each large shaft bearing before bolting anything down.

Pardon me if you already knew that, but I have seen people assemble the case halves without properly aligning these parts, not pretty.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 26 May 2010 13:01 by OnkelB.

More
26 May 2010 17:38 #371179 by idkleine
Roger that. Thanks for the tips. I think its ready to mate.

More
26 May 2010 19:56 - 26 May 2010 19:57 #371244 by idkleine
Last edit: 26 May 2010 19:57 by idkleine.