Base gasket replacement

More
28 May 2010 16:43 #371707 by oppie501
Replied by oppie501 on topic Base gasket replacement
Just went through this on my build. Harbor frieght sells i believe a five pack of different width plastic scrapers. They are shaped like wood chisels, and are extremely sharp. They get under the old gasket, and since they are plastic no worries of gouging the aluminum. 5 pack sells for around 10 bucks. Best 10 bucks i ever spent. Good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 May 2010 17:01 #371712 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Base gasket replacement
Glad to here you finally got it all off, don't worry to much about the small pieces going into the crankcase, do a oil + filter change and there they'll be.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
28 May 2010 17:05 #371715 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Base gasket replacement
Motor Head wrote:

Glad to here you finally got it all off, don't worry to much about the small pieces going into the crankcase, do a oil + filter change and there they'll be.

better yet...pull the pan..tit job and get all the crap out of there.....you would be surprised to see the nuggets in a 30 year old pan.....

More
28 May 2010 22:40 #371786 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Base gasket replacement
better yet...pull the pan..tit job and get all the crap out of there.....you would be surprised to see the nuggets in a 30 year old pan.....[/quote]

I second that. I pulled my oil pan and couldn't believe the crud that was in it.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port