Base gasket replacement

More
24 May 2010 11:13 #370482 by chrispysaki
Base gasket replacement was created by chrispysaki
I have the jugs off and want to put a new base gasket on, but the old one is really stuck to the case. I tried scraping it with a steel chisel, but there's no way I would be able to get it off without damaging the aluminum. I'm also worried about getting pieces of the gasket into the crankcase.

So I was thinking about just putting the new gasket over the old one, which is squished really flat to begin with. Is this a terrible idea? Is there an easier way to get the gasket loose?

Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 May 2010 11:19 #370484 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Base gasket replacement
Go get a spray can of Gasket Remover at the Parts store, it will eat it off quite easily.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 May 2010 11:27 #370486 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Base gasket replacement
I had a feeling there would be something super easy like that! Thanks!

More
24 May 2010 16:12 #370548 by Jodyb17
Replied by Jodyb17 on topic Base gasket replacement
I've used the permatex gasket remover. Low VOC kind. I let it set over night and then used a razor blade. The gasket remover stuff really softened up the gasket.

1977 KZ 650 C

More
24 May 2010 23:11 - 24 May 2010 23:13 #370690 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Base gasket replacement
chrispysaki wrote:

So I was thinking about just putting the new gasket over the old one, which is squished really flat to begin with. Is this a terrible idea?

Absolutely horrible, don't even think about it.

chrispysaki wrote:

I have the jugs off and want to put a new base gasket on, but the old one is really stuck to the case. I tried scraping it with a steel chisel, but there's no way I would be able to get it off without damaging the aluminum.

you can soften it with brake fluid. The factory seals that gasket with super glue like 3 bond (I already went through this). Pack shop rags in to prevent the stuff from falling down. Use a single sided razor, hold it straight up to scrape it. Go slow, figure on spending a couple of hours. vacuum the crud up after a little bit and work around.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 24 May 2010 23:13 by bountyhunter.

More
24 May 2010 23:14 #370691 by bountyhunter
Motor Head wrote:

Go get a spray can of Gasket Remover at the Parts store, it will eat it off quite easily.

That works on gasket material but my base gasket was held on with permanent sealer similar to three bond. You have to scrape it off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 May 2010 02:56 #370699 by Buda
Replied by Buda on topic Base gasket replacement
bountyhunter wrote:

Motor Head wrote:

That works on gasket material but my base gasket was held on with permanent sealer similar to three bond. You have to scrape it off.

I just went threw this and bountyhunter is rite. I tryed the gasket remover and it softened the gasket a little,mostly scrapeing is what got mine off. Alot of scrapeing. :blink:
Tom

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard

More
25 May 2010 13:49 #370826 by chrispysaki
Wow, I guess I know what I'm doing for the next couple nights!

More
25 May 2010 15:13 #370857 by Jodyb17
Replied by Jodyb17 on topic Base gasket replacement
yeah, took me a while. I probably spent 3 hours total of scraping, not counting the time waiting for the remover to do its stuff.

1977 KZ 650 C

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
25 May 2010 15:16 #370858 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Base gasket replacement
a good putty knife works well.bj

More
25 May 2010 21:36 - 25 May 2010 21:39 #370955 by bountyhunter
The secret to not gouging the metal is to always keep the scraping tool straight vertical.

After you get the stuff scraped off, I recommend going over the surface with scotchbrite pad and then wiping with acetone. It will be super clean then.

I used a thin bead of black sealer on my base gasket. 3-bond or similar is good. It makes it harder to remove but you hardly ever change that gasket, and it will absolutely never leak..

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 May 2010 21:39 by bountyhunter.

More
26 May 2010 07:58 #371011 by chrispysaki
Got it scraped off last night. Took about 2.5 hours and a total PITA. Definitely not a project I'd like to repeat anytime soon. That scotch brite pad is a good idea, I'll give that a shot tonight.

I did get a couple small schnibbles of the gasket into the crank case - will that cause problems later on? I'm not sure how I'd get them out.