Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kickstart addition 05 Apr 2006 17:29 #37032

• craig1690
  • craig1690's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i have an 81 kz750 (4cyl) bottomend that doesnt have a kick starter. i have an 81 kz650 (4cyl) motor with a kick starter, so i have everything that i would need. can anyone please tell me if i would have to split the crank cases to get the kickstart on the 750? in not, what is the process?-thanks craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kickstart addition 05 Apr 2006 20:29 #37101

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I have not tried it, but I looked at the parts diagram for the 650 on buykawasaki.com and it looks like it can be done without splitting the case. I know there is a hole in the right side of the 750 case that looks like it's for the kickstarter shaft bushing. Looks to me like you just remove the parts from the 650 and install them on the 750, including the clutch cover.

I have not read of anyone else doing it so be sure and let us know how it goes :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/04/05 23:30
KD9JUR

kickstart addition 06 Apr 2006 12:31 #37251

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
You will have to split the cases on both engines, no way around it. You need to transplant the kick stopper plate (marked below) sitting in the bottom of the lower case - to get to it you need to remove the kick shaft, but with the cases assembled the shaft won´t come out for two reasons:
to take it out the outer shaft bushing needs to be removed and the shaft needs to be tilted (below) to clear the oilway behind it. You can´t tilt it enough with the output shaft installed, and even if you could the kick shaft gear is too big to go between the output shaft and the bottom of the engine.

Post edited by: onkelb, at: 2006/04/06 15:33
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:

kickstart addition 06 Apr 2006 14:07 #37283

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
Im on the list of I want to do that, and have the parts but not the time or experience. Please keep us posted if you do it and progress pics would be awesome.

kickstart addition 07 Apr 2006 21:57 #37746

• craig1690
  • craig1690's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
hey thanks a lot OnkelB and steell. im sure that i would not have realized that i needed that kick stopper plate if you wouldnt had said something. i got the kickstart shaft out tonight and tomarrow im going to put it into the other motor. sorry DanOz7five0, i dont have a camera so i couldnt take any pics for you. it was a pretty complicated process for me but i have never had to split the cases on any motor. it required a lot of tools which i had to borrow. it was kind of intimidating looking down at the exposed crank and tranny gears considering they had moved around on me when i took the cases appart. but i managed to get the shaft out and then put the motor back together. you could probably do it if you had a service repair manual. they make any project a lot easier.

• Page: