'81 CSR Oil leak update/old blowby thread

• 1981jmotor
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • shade tree mechanic
More
22 May 2010 14:23 #369860 by 1981jmotor
'81 CSR Oil leak update/old blowby thread was created by 1981jmotor
Hi Guys, The old thread got a little long. This is David in Norman with the 81 Kaw CSR 1000 J motor.
I removed the valve cover, and retorque the head bolts. I resealed my cam caps, now my only oil leak is from the tach drive. The job was a complete SUCCESS. No oil whatsoever is coming from the head gasket, and cam caps like it was. It turned out good thanks to all of you who responded. Now some miscellaneous:
The Oreilly Auto Parts I went to did not have the Threadbond 1104 sealant for the bottom of the cam caps, 9am53. I just used the cheapo brand of the copper high-heat silicon for the cam caps, and cam cover gasket.
I bought a feeler guage, and made sure all my valves had at least .005 mm clearance, bumping the starter to rotate the cams. It took all of 3 minutes. My shop manual say the clearance is .005 to .015 mm. I know none of them are too loose just by the way it sounds when it is running.
I have ordered the boots for my fuel enrichment shafts on the carbs. It is tedious, and time consuming to replace them, so I am hunting for the master shaft with a knob, since my knob is missing, or if any of you have a spare to sell, or if you all know any tricks to put a replacement knob on my shaft. The only one I ever found was a dinky chrome plastic one that did not last long, and did not look just right.
That is all for now, except to say that it is very time-consuming to R and R that cam cover! :woohoo: You all have a good weekend, David

1981 Kawasaki CSR 1000

First bike ever at 14 years old was 1969 Honda CL 175.
Bought a brand new Honda CM400T at 16 years old in 1979.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
22 May 2010 14:35 #369865 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic '81 CSR Oil leak update/old blowby thread
Great.Now u can ride without the slip and slide.Lol.bj

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
22 May 2010 14:37 #369866 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic '81 CSR Oil leak update/old blowby thread
if ur talking about the choke knob,they are forever breaking and falling off I may have a spare one if thats what u need.????bj

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
22 May 2010 14:59 #369871 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic '81 CSR Oil leak update/old blowby thread
condrats, glad to hear all is well. if a new tack seal doesnt work, just use eng. silicone on it at both ends. i replaced my seal twice and ended up using silicone, then it ran up through the cable and out the top.lol so i sealed the top too. now it is permanantly oiled.lol:laugh:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)