do I have to?

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 May 2010 18:46 #366611 by stonemaster
do I have to? was created by stonemaster
I have head off 73z1 for exhaust stud repair (PO rigged shitty). My ? is do I have to replace the cylinder block gasket as well? the reason i ask is that today I saw a film of oil where the cylinder block attaches. Nothing of note but that would indicate a broken seal possibly?? or would a re-torque be sufficient when the head is reattached?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2010 19:15 #366619 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic do I have to?
stonemaster wrote:

I have head off 73z1 for exhaust stud repair (PO rigged shitty). My ? is do I have to replace the cylinder block gasket as well? the reason i ask is that today I saw a film of oil where the cylinder block attaches. Nothing of note but that would indicate a broken seal possibly?? or would a re-torque be sufficient when the head is reattached?

did the jugs come up?....when i pulled my head i saw a little weepage....i reassembled and had a tiny bit on the first start-up, but its all good....just dont any cycling of the motor with head off.....if i had to bet, i would say you are all right.......g/l.....keith

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 May 2010 19:35 #366624 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic do I have to?
no they didnt come up, had a little weapage on the lower corner, had it on kickstand, got it propped more upright now.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 May 2010 20:52 #366647 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic do I have to?
I suggest it would be the best to at least replace the base gasket and O-ring around the cam chain area, but also would be easy for a cam chain with a master link, and new piston rings. Probably around $200 bucks for the parts.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 May 2010 20:59 #366648 by stonemaster
Im talking bout the gasket at the base of the cylinder block, I'll be putting a big bore kit (1045) in a year or so.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 May 2010 21:04 #366650 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic do I have to?
Base Gasket is at the bottom of cylinder block, and if it has been seeping/ leaking it will most likely be worse upon reassembly without replacement.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 May 2010 03:38 #366673 by stonemaster
well thats one yes and one no note there was no weepage before dis-assembly, anyone else??

More
09 May 2010 04:08 #366674 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic do I have to?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
09 May 2010 09:39 #366804 by rt green
Replied by rt green on topic do I have to?
replace. why take the chance. then you would have to do it all over again. it would give you a chance to check up on the internal parts. save gambling for the stock market.

More
09 May 2010 12:22 #366841 by csrjoe
Replied by csrjoe on topic do I have to?
Is that Betty White in that picture?

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 May 2010 15:33 #366875 by stonemaster
yes its da Betty
and I think keith s answer is da one,
thanx for your replies
big bore kit goin in next year , internals are fine for now. will update, Betty is some old school FAP material say what.