Oil change n filter location

• drshakegonzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 May 2010 18:08 #365820 by drshakegonzo
Oil change n filter location was created by drshakegonzo
Hey all,

So I'm a 2nd season rider and don't have a ton of experience working on bikes or engines at all for that matter.

I misplaced my factory manual for my 1980 LTD 750kz. I'm not sure the letters behind the model. I tried to research online not having much luck. Was looking for a free manual as well. I just basically want to know about routine maint.

Everything seems to be running good on my bike but I don't know when the oil or the filter were last changed. Is there an online diagram I could utilize to locate my filter? I'm pretty sure the oil pans right in front behind my headers??? I'm guessin just unplug the screw drain and put a new filter and fill with oil. I'm not sure where filter is even located. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also I seem to have a small oil drip around a screw right near the oil pan. I tried to tighten but I'm wondering if i need a new head gasket. I need to look at it in more depth. The bike is 30 years old. How complex is a head gasket to change? I have to take the entire engine apart right? Where could i get info on doing this. Like I said I'm no mechanic wiz so if theres a site for dummies or any easy reference material or site help would be great pref with schematics or diagrams.

Also any advice on sites for cheap parts for these bikes?

Oh yea my horn stopped working too? Where should I look for trouble shooting that? It use to work fine. So I'm hopin its sumthing minor. Thks for any responses. Happy riding it was beautiful in central PA today. Had alot of fun out there.

1980 Kawasaki LTD750

A mans gotta believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2010 18:23 - 05 May 2010 18:25 #365821 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Oil change n filter location
put the bike on the center-stand or side stand and lay on the ground and look up under it......you should see 2 drain plugs....one is engine oil and one is the filter housing...the filter housing should be a round affair with
fins on it radiating out from the center.....make sure you put everything back in filter housing just as it came out...
use new orings as supplied with filter in filter housing....
check the horn wires just above the exhaust and behind steering neck....hope this helps.....
edit...leaky screw near pan should have nothing to do with head gasket.....try tightening screw....
got pics of leak?....g/l...keith
Last edit: 05 May 2010 18:25 by keith1.

• drshakegonzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 May 2010 18:35 #365825 by drshakegonzo
Replied by drshakegonzo on topic Oil change n filter location
Thnks keith,

I'll do all the things u suggested. I'll try tightening the screw again and I'll get a pic out here 2mrw. I appreciate the help. Also... My engine is pretty dingy and gray lookin. I've tried to polish it.. I know u can't polish a turd but is there any good spray or cleaner i can use. I'm thinking i'll need sum serious industrial stuff. Any ideas anyone?

1980 Kawasaki LTD750

A mans gotta believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer.

More
05 May 2010 23:00 #365851 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Oil change n filter location
If it's a 750 twin, the filter is behind the left side engine cover.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
06 May 2010 06:36 - 06 May 2010 06:38 #365881 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Oil change n filter location
Is the bike a 750-Ltd-4? If so, it has the starburst filter cover on the oil pan. The filter & cover are held in place by the oil filter bolt. It's rearward of the drain plug. I don't know what the Twin setup is. The diagrams at Kawasaki.com are usually helpful.

Warm up the engine. Remove the drain plug & let the oil drain. Then remove the oil filter bolt... pay attention to the order of the fence, washer & spring etc. Double-check the order using the diagrams at the Kaw site or the Owner's Manual.

I would clean the engine real good, then warm up the bike to see if you can locate exactly where the oil leak is. Maybe it's the tach drive seal at the front of the engine where the tachometer cable is connected (just a wild guess).

Z1Enterprises.com is probably the best place to get parts - their pricing is good & the service is top notch. If something isn't listed, call or email them.
Last edit: 06 May 2010 06:38 by JMKZHI.