Finally got my Kerker!

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
05 May 2010 06:55 #365686 by riverroad
Finally got my Kerker! was created by riverroad
Thanks Z1Enterprises!! Took a while, but that wasn't Z1's fault.
It's a shiny and new!
Right now I'm just cleaning out the insides of it with some beartex on a rope. Seems even a brand new Kerker has a light coat of rust on the inside. The instructions that came with it said I should coat the insides of it with white exhaust header paint to curb pipe bluing. Worth a try I guess.
But my question is: I'm wondering if I'll have to re jet the carbs to go with it. When I was running my MAC pipe unrestricted, and took the air box off and put on pods, I had to jump a few sizes on my jets.
Well, I kinda want to keep it kinda loud, so I'm planning on at first running with just the end cap on, without the baffle installed. Later, after my wife gets over the shock of the price I paid for the new Kerker, I want to install the intermediate sized Kerker baffle.
But me and dblhdr have a little trip planned over the memorial day weekend, and I just want it to run halfway decent, and worry about the fine tuning later.
So, are the performance characteristics of the Kerker that much different than the MAC? I'm hoping I'll get away with just adjusting the mixture screws a little.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
05 May 2010 07:00 #365688 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Finally got my Kerker!
so waht are you doing with the stock baffle? :)

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
05 May 2010 07:23 #365695 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Finally got my Kerker!
Haven't decided yet. It's entirely possible I might actually like to ride quiet in my old age, and end up keeping it.
But then there's those pesky deer we have around here.
But I gotta do some experimenting first.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
05 May 2010 07:49 #365698 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Finally got my Kerker!
You will probably have to rejet for a baffle if you are jetted for no baffle. Mine was jetted with no baffle with the old MAC pipe and when I installed a brand new Vance n Hines it ran like a scalded dog with no baffle. After a few months I put the baffle in and performance dropped and the head pipe turned blue within minutes, all because I did not rejet.

I will say with no baffle your riding buddies will make you ride in the back. My buds bitch and complain because my bike drowns out the Harleys thump thump thump

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
05 May 2010 08:33 #365702 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Finally got my Kerker!
i like that you included the factory inner coating tip.....as you mount the header...if you notice any more stuff...good or bad...let us know...i know there are many on here that debate/day dream....about plunking down the cash for a new kerker....a product and purhcase review is always cool to kinda know what the process may be like....

nice purchase ,i'm sure your gonna be real happy with it!!!!

the KZ1000 MKII i just aquired has an old school kerker and it feels way throaty....brings back memories of youth and kerkers.....

nice score

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
05 May 2010 09:21 #365705 by riverroad
Yeah Kawickrice, I'm already pretty used to ridin in the back. Don't mind at all. What I do like is being at a biker bar with a bunch of HD's parked there, I fire mine up, and everybody's heads turn to look. Guess I'm just an old attention whore.:laugh:
Trianglelaguna, I'll be takin pics along the way, and I'll post them to share with everyone. I do want to make this pipe last a loooong time, so I am coating the inside. Only thing is, the other day at the Carquest store, they didn't have the white exhaust paint. But they did have silver.
They can't be that much different as far as the thermodynamics of it all. Plus, the brand (I forget) said it has a high concentration of silicone in it, which I know is very heat resistant. We use silicone sealers and rubbers in and around engine components in fighter jets. Good stuff.

More
05 May 2010 11:44 #365728 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Finally got my Kerker!
I think my friends coat thier headers with jet hot. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
06 May 2010 09:25 - 06 May 2010 09:39 #365904 by riverroad
I thought about Jethot Roy, but I ain't shipping this thing off nowhere. B)

But while I was stroking the insides of the tubes with beartex, I decided to do a little comparison with my old Mac pipe.
I don't know why everybody disses the cheap Mac pipe, but when you hold them close together, the quality of construction is similar. The welds look good on both pipes, the tubes are the same diameter, the collectors look identical, and they feel like they weigh the same. So the tube wall thickness is also pretty much the same. Of course, my Mac does have that ugly bulbous looking "canister" thingy. And then, there's the CHROME!!
It's almost too pretty to put on my bike! Now I gotta pretty my engine up for it, so it ain't going on for a few more days.
Dammit, gotta resize my pics.
BTW, if you decide to clean out your pipe in preparation for paint, don't use the "non chlorinated" carb cleaner as in the can shown in the pic. It leaves an oily residue that paint won't stick to. Use regular old carb cleaner. And that oily residue has a bad odor, smells like feet. Nasty crap.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 May 2010 09:39 by riverroad.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
06 May 2010 09:33 - 06 May 2010 09:33 #365906 by riverroad
I think they may actually flow about the same, open anyway.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 May 2010 09:33 by riverroad.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
06 May 2010 09:34 #365908 by riverroad
Nuther view.
Attachments:

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
06 May 2010 10:00 #365910 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Finally got my Kerker!
Is it possible to put the chrome megaphone onto the MAC headpipe. Are the headpipes identical? I have an old MAC and hate the bulbous canister too. It would be nice to put a Kerker tail pipe on a MAC headpipe

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
06 May 2010 10:17 #365913 by riverroad
Kawickrice, I'll find out for you this afternoon. (I always wondered that myself)
Cheapo! :laugh: :P