question on the 810 kit

More
04 May 2010 16:15 #365523 by kz750ohio
question on the 810 kit was created by kz750ohio
My dad and I are going through this old girl that we bought about a 1 1/2 years ago. She was sick with a cam chain noise so we decided to tear her down.
We found some issue's which I posted already but we also discovered tonight 2 of the pistons are smaller than spec. and 2 of the sleeves have a lip in them from what we think caused by water on top of the cylinder when it was stored years ago. The previous owner did a lot of work but did not take it all the way down and check everything with a mic including the bores.
I am at the crossroads in deciding what to replaced the pistons, rings and cylinders with a standard set or put a wiseco 810 kit in her.
The questions I have if I go to the 810 kit will I need to upgrade my fuel. Run higher octain fuel like premium? Do I need to do anything with the timing like retarding it back or changing the advance curv? How much change in jetting will there be?
My dad has been a auto mechanic for years but on motorcycles he asked me to ask the pro's.
The bike is pretty much stock. I have torn down the head, replaced the valve guides and valves with new ones. I had my friend who works at a valve shop check the seats and lap the valves in. The previous owner had APE valve guides and new valves setting in a box but didn't have time to take care of it so I did.
The cams are factory stock, the coils were replaced with Dana 2.2 ohm and new wires, the old girl is still using the factory electronic ignition, I did the wiredgeorge coil mod to improve the voltage to the coils and the previous owner had put on some mikuni bs34 carbs on her. All jetted correctly with 115 mains and 37.5 pilots.
Overall she is in pretty good shape but when she was stored up certain things were not done to protect her from the weather.

thanks in advance,

max

1982 kawasaki kz750 with mikuni carbs bs34, stock everything else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2010 16:25 #365524 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic question on the 810 kit
You'll be better off running premium, and you'll have to go richer on the main jets, but other than that theres nothing major that you NEED.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
04 May 2010 21:07 #365631 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic question on the 810 kit
T_Dub wrote:

that theres nothing major that you NEED.

but there is a whole lot you will want to get the max out of an 810

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
05 May 2010 03:53 #365647 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic question on the 810 kit
Exactly right, look at me, the 810 kit itself was by and large only about a third of what I'm spending on the bike this winter. Main thing I did was get my head ported by Mr. Cavanaugh, other than that its just a million other little things I've been wanting to do. Inside the engine I'm gonna have GPz cams, billet cam chain tensioner and adjuster, new cam chain, APE clutch, APE valve springs, and APE studs and nuts. And all that stuff aint cheap.

I'll be building my engine within the next few weeks, so anyone wanting to see an 810 build as it happens can see one then, I'm gonna post lots of pics.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
11 May 2010 15:03 #367281 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic question on the 810 kit
I put an 810 kit in my 80 750h.I've got a V&H 4-1.
Big k&N pods,a stage 3 Dynojet kit,am using Kehins from a Spectre 750(Cause I screwed up the piolet jet threads on the oe's).It will run better on 89 or 91 octane.All other stuff is stock,except for a Vesrah Clutch kit and new valves with viton seals.I had to go with the 810 because I had issues withe the pistons,and it was actually cheaper to get the kit than trying to monkee around gathering stock oversize parts.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

More
16 May 2010 06:06 #368230 by kz750ohio
Replied by kz750ohio on topic question on the 810 kit
well after much debate. I have decided to go with stock right now. I have ordered the replacement sleeves and found some NOS pistons really cheap on flea bay. I know I could have went with the 810 kits because the cost difference was not a whole lot from running standard. But after reading some of the posts and some advice from a couple of people from around town, I would have been tempted to do a little more. With my daughters extra activities money would have been an issue in the short term of things. Plus this will give me a chance to enjoy the old girl the same as if she rolled off the assembly line. B) I am hoping I will have her together in a couple of weeks. I will try to take some pictures.
thanks for everyone's help,

1982 kawasaki kz750 with mikuni carbs bs34, stock everything else.