Cylinder Head Oil Leak- Serious?

More
03 May 2010 19:21 #365345 by db4570
Replied by db4570 on topic Cylinder Head Oil Leak- Serious?
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I talked with the owner again today, and he said it was the tach cable that is leaking. If that's true, that sounds like an easy fix.

The bike has a little over 20k on it. I assume that means she probably has a lot of miles left in her, yes?

Any weak points with these bikes? I'm also looking at Suzukis from this era, and I know they are notorious for electrical problems, and a lot seem to have gummed up carbs, although that is probably true of any bike not stored properly. Any Achilles' heels with these KXs?

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2010 04:30 #365406 by Jodyb17
Replied by Jodyb17 on topic Cylinder Head Oil Leak- Serious?
db4570 wrote:

Any weak points with these bikes?

David

Not too many. Thats one of the great things about these bikes. The engines are tanks.

Most changes people make are performance mods.

Others will chime in here, but the cam chain tensioner comes to mind. I would go with an aftermarket one if you plan on hitting this bike hard. It's a bolt-on part located below your carbs. A bit tricky to get to with the carbs on but can be done. Be sure to replace the gasket if you go this route. The stock one was known to fail, and Kawasaki did several different iterations.

Many have replaced their points type ignitions for something more modern. Not really a weakness, just older technology.

The brakes and suspensions on these bikes are a bit lacking if you've ridden anything modern. Again, just newer tech.

Be sure to pick up a manual if you purchase. And check out the wealth of info here kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...w&gid=231&Itemid=108 in this forum.

1977 KZ 650 C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.