Flywheel Bolt issue

• Capt America
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Born Bad
More
01 May 2010 12:55 #364743 by Capt America
Flywheel Bolt issue was created by Capt America
I have a very basic, almost stupid question to ask. However it couldn't be more important to me being able to ride again this year.

I have a 1983 LTD 750 Twin with a belt drive. The 83 motor spun a crank bearing long ago. I have since then had 2 older KZ motors I've used. Just a matter of switching 3 of the casings around in order to allow me to continue to use the belt drive.

One motor was a 78 which got a bad sticky valve after 5 seasons use, and the most recent was a 79 which began to pump oil directly into the left cylinder after my 3rd ride this spring. I've held onto and intend to repair both for spare motors, I pulled out both before any damage was done.

So when the 79 went this spring I hunted my area inside out and finally happened across a 77 Kz twin which I snatched up. Unlike the 78,79 this 77 has a stator. It's the first one I've come across. Now switching it out for my starter clutch and alternator flywheel will be no problem once I ask this DOH question.

Question: The bolt that holds the flywheel on, is it a left hand thread like I believe it should be..???

I really don't want to be forced into switching out crank shaft because I've broken off the bolt. I've even removed one long ago, but can't for the life of me remember. DOH!

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2010 16:50 #364790 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Flywheel Bolt issue
CA, I'm Not familiar w/'750 twins, But I do remember reading a post a while back from a member who had one that had broken said rotor bolt (which had been disconinued) And was indeed L/H thread. Look at the head of your' bolt... As a general rule, L/H threaded bolts will have a line inscribed around the "hex" area. You might search for this thread, hope this helps, G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
01 May 2010 18:57 #364827 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Flywheel Bolt issue
The flywheel bolt on my '79 750 twin is definitely LH thread and torqued to about 100 foot-lbs. There is a trick to holding the flywheel using a giant flat blade screwdriver with the tip in one of the flywheel holes and the handle resting against the foot peg mount studs on the frame.

1979 KZ-750 Twin