Engine painting questions?

More
03 Apr 2006 11:13 #36442 by Myphisto
Engine painting questions? was created by Myphisto
Just had a couple of questions. First, has anyone painted their engine with a gloss black instead of the semi gloss? It seems to me that it would hold the shine instead of becoming dull more quickly like with the semi-gloss. Or is it just ugly looking? Second question is about cleaning my engine. I have used the search feature and have seen the scrub, scrub, and scrub again postings. My engine is out and I have used an engine degreaser cleaner and a small coldwater pressure washer. About the only thing left on the engine is some tar like substance and baked on oil. I can't rub any of it off using my fingers. Should I try some other type of cleaner and a wire brush or can I get away with painting over it? Thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2006 12:06 #36449 by oldcuda68
Replied by oldcuda68 on topic Engine painting questions?
I cleaned my engine with some Aluminum Bright from NAPA. I basically sprayed, scrubbed with a stifff brush, rinsed, and repeated. Took a long time, but the engine cleaned up fairly well before I sprayed it with Krylon BBQ Grill black. I will be posting a picture in a few days. Looks pretty good.

Mark

1980 KZ750 LTD
1984 Honda GL1200 Interstate
Too many other toys to mention

More
03 Apr 2006 12:10 #36450 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Engine painting questions?
Not sure on the gloss thing, I always use the simi-gloss. It's easyer to touch up if needed. I would try some lacqure thinner or acetone to get it off. You went clean metal to paint.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
03 Apr 2006 12:50 #36462 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Engine painting questions?
I haven't used the paint personally but am going to. Mark Coulson, a dragracer with a spotless motorcycle who prides himself on the looks of his bikes(you can tell by just looking at his equipment), told me he uses PJ1 gloss black on his motors and they look great. I have seen them personally and they always look shiny black. He told me he has never had any problems with this paint and highly recommended it.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
03 Apr 2006 14:20 #36474 by Myphisto
Replied by Myphisto on topic Engine painting questions?
Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I will have a few more days to figure out if I want to go gloss or not while I continue the cleaning process. I will post some pictures of before and after when I'm done. Thanks again.

More
09 Apr 2006 19:59 #38183 by kzbikeman
Replied by kzbikeman on topic Engine painting questions?
I am using the semi-gloss on my top end rebuild for my 81 J model.THe paint looks great. Almost have the head back on today but the Vesrah gasket kit lacks the o-rings for the oil galleys! I will post pix soon.