No Start PLEASE HELP!!!!!

More
02 Apr 2006 16:28 #36217 by gr8funbikes
No Start PLEASE HELP!!!!! was created by gr8funbikes
I have a 82 750 twin with 8000 original miles. The bike sat for quite a long time. I belive about 5 or 6 years. I cleaned the carbs and dumped the fuel out of the tank. The plugs and oil have been changed. I have spark and the plugs are getting wet. There is compression. The electric starter works but the starter clutch wont stay engaged so I have been useing the kick starter. It just cranks over and over but wont fire off . I tried to give as much info as I could. Please help as I am at my wits end. Not too sure where to go from here. Oh btw the bike ran till it was parked.

82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
02 Apr 2006 16:45 #36224 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic No Start PLEASE HELP!!!!!
fix the starter clutch, maybe you could try roll startin.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
02 Apr 2006 18:43 #36254 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic No Start PLEASE HELP!!!!!
I'm guessing an '82 twin has electronic Ign. Can the timing be out of whack and need adjustment? Are you using the choke? How's the air filter?

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/04/02 21:43

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
02 Apr 2006 19:16 #36264 by gr8funbikes
Replied by gr8funbikes on topic No Start PLEASE HELP!!!!!
I am going to try to get the starter clutch straightened out soon but it should still start from the kick start.

82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

More
02 Apr 2006 19:19 #36268 by gr8funbikes
rstnick:
The air filter is clean. I don't belive the timing is out of wack due to the fact that it only has 8000 miles on it and it was running when it was parked befor it was left for so long. I am useing the chole too. I have even tried using starter fluid.

82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

More
02 Apr 2006 19:24 #36273 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic No Start PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Maybe the mechanical advance is stuck(rusted?) in the full advance position? That would make starting hard by throwing out the timing for the lower RPM range right?
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
02 Apr 2006 19:27 #36275 by gr8funbikes
I am not too familiar with a bikes parts but am learning as I go. Where is the mechanical advance located on a bike?:blush:

82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

More
02 Apr 2006 20:14 #36308 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic No Start PLEASE HELP!!!!!
I'm not so sure that the 82 750 has a mechanical advance...like I said...not sure though,but wouldn't it have an electronic ignition?...82.
Either way...You can access Your ignition behind the little cover on the right-hand side of the engine(right hand when sitting on the bike).
Post a pic of what You see in there,if You can,ok.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
02 Apr 2006 20:26 #36314 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic No Start PLEASE HELP!!!!!
to run you need fuel, spark, compression, timimg.check see if you have spark, if you have spark check the timing...to check for spark I take out the plug reattach the wire and make sure it is grounded to the bike and kick it over, you might want to have someone else kick it while you watch for a spark,if there is no spark check your connections and clean them anyway, I found that bikes that sit for a lenth of time sometimes get corrosion at the connections, make sure you have power to the coils, its just a process of elimination, if it ran when parked then 95% of the time its a real simple problem...good luck

More
02 Apr 2006 20:37 #36323 by gr8funbikes
Sandy:
Thank you. When I get a chance I will take off the right cover and take a look at what is in there and post some picd of what I find.

82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

More
02 Apr 2006 20:43 #36326 by gr8funbikes
agawam:
I am getting fuel (plugs are wet), I have spark (did exactly what you stated), I have good compression.

This is why I am going nuts trying to figure this out. I have everything rrequired to run (fire, air, fuel) But she just wont fire up.

Thank you all for your help. It is sometimes hard not to get a one track mind when working on something.

maybe I should take apart the carbe again and see if something didn't get screwed up in there when I cleaned them.

Again thank you all so very much for your help.

82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

More
02 Apr 2006 21:18 #36339 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic No Start PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Ya,like Agawam said...it's probably something very simple and straight-foreward,that Maybe You're just overlooking.(looking for something more serious,and neglecting the obvious??...happens all the time)
You'll get it...take small steps,and look at what's in front of You,and no deeper than that,until You find it...
You didn't end up with any "Spare-Parts" when You put the carbs back together,did You? All the jets were replaced?Were You working on a nice clean bench,uncluttered?Did You adjust the floats at all,while You had the carbs apart?
Try pulling Your plugs out and heat them up really good with a torch,and get them back in as quick as You can(without cross-threading any of them)...see if that helps.Not only will it heat them up,but it will also burn off any extra gas,in case You're dealing with a flooding issue...keep Us posted,Bud...

1977 KZ1000 A-1