Rebuild first time fireup....a problem!?

More
21 Apr 2010 20:53 #362240 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic First fireup...problem found(?)
Here's a pic of one of my carb to head rubber holders....

Pulled them tonight and they are all like this, although this one is the worse. As you can see, they have been on there so long that the rubber is impressed with the shape of the head port. This whole surface was also wet with gas, and there are also little radiating cracks in the rubber away from the hole.

I suspect that this is my problem. Now, as some of you know...I'm very poor and do things with a non-budget. I can't afford to replace these right now, so I'm wondering if I can smear some kind of sealer in there as a temporary fix?? Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2010 21:49 #362245 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Rebuild first time fireup....a problem!?
You can smear a thin layer of black silicone rubber on the face of the rubbers where they meet the carb and the engine. Let it dry thoroughly before installing. It will work temporarily, but wet gas will eat it and it will leak again.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Apr 2010 21:51 #362246 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Rebuild first time fireup....a problem!?
polkat wrote:

By the way, the engine had no gaskets between these rubbers and the head. I guessed that was because the rubbers are fully coated with rubber, and I assembled it that way. Right....?

No gaskets used there.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
22 Apr 2010 07:09 #362304 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rebuild first time fireup....a problem!?
Might try this ---

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2010 08:35 - 22 Apr 2010 08:36 #362321 by JakeB
Replied by JakeB on topic Rebuild first time fireup....a problem!?
I used Permatex spray sealant on my old ones, I didn't seem to have any leaks.

I just got new ones, but my old ones are in a lot better shape than yours. They are the VM26/28 style with the vacuum ports for the KZ1000. Not sure if they will work for you or not, but if so they are yours for the cost of shipping.

1978 Z1-R
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Apr 2010 08:36 by JakeB.

More
22 Apr 2010 11:51 #362389 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Rebuild first time fireup....a problem!?
Thanks JakeB, but I have the Keihin CV34's, and I think yours are a different size.

I have a product here by Permatex called Moto 1 sealer, which is a rubber instead of silicon. Supposed to be good around gas. Think I'll try it....no?

More
22 Apr 2010 13:55 - 22 Apr 2010 13:59 #362424 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rebuild first time fireup....a problem!?
polkat wrote:

Thanks JakeB, but I have the Keihin CV34's, and I think yours are a different size.

I have a product here by Permatex called Moto 1 sealer, which is a rubber instead of silicon. Supposed to be good around gas. Think I'll try it....no?

Depends on the temp range intended for the product.

The Ultra Copper Hi-Temp is for up to 750 degrees and recommended by Permatex for manifolds.

The spray rubber is good stuff, but for up to 350 degrees, and recommended for other things besides manifolds.

Don't know temp range of Moto 1.

I would use the Hi-Temp stuff and be done with it. :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 22 Apr 2010 13:59 by Patton.

More
22 Apr 2010 14:43 - 22 Apr 2010 14:45 #362431 by polkat
The Moto 1 is rated at 350 (with 400 peaks). It's in a squeeze tube like Ultra Copper. My only reason for resisting Ultra Copper is that I've had some pretty bad results using silicon around gasoline. Does that side of the head actually get past 350 degrees? Doubtfull, but if so, I'll grab some Ultra Copper.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2010 14:45 by polkat.

More
24 Apr 2010 12:03 #362846 by polkat
Just to let everyone know incase it might help someone. I did seal the carb holders to the head with the Moto1 and what a difference! Runs very smooth now and the reving problem is gone! I will replace the holders when I can afford to, but I want to see how long this lasts. I do believe the other sealers mentioned would have worked just as well, but I used what I had.