Installing Replacement Pipes

• banggugyangu
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Apr 2010 15:04 #361749 by banggugyangu
Installing Replacement Pipes was created by banggugyangu
I have just purchased a replacement set of pipes for my 81 KZ1100. These are stock replacements for 4>2 pipes. I have extremely limited mechanical knowledge, but am going to attempt to mount these myself. If anyone knows of a solid step-by-step walkthrough or DIY guide for this *or would feel moved to write one* I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Thank you all in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
19 Apr 2010 15:13 #361751 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Installing Replacement Pipes
Did you get a new set of copper crush washers too?

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=196

They go between the exhaust header pipes and the motor. (you need 4 of them) Once you have them you just have to remove the old exhaust by removing the nuts that are holding the headers to the motor, and remove any bolts that are holding the exhaust up under the bike. Once you have it all off, remove the old copper gaskets and put in the new ones. I don't know about what new exhaust you ahve but it often happens that even though it is made for your bike, you have to improvise some brackets to hold the back end of the pipe up...good luck!

More
19 Apr 2010 16:13 #361760 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Installing Replacement Pipes
When ever I drop/remove my Kerker system on my 82 GPz 1100 B2, I have on hand four(4) new copper crush washers.

www.z1enterprises.com sells the Kawasaki ones and he also carries a Suzuki crush washer that is a little thicker.

I assume you're going to install the system, so I'll give some steps to follow:

1.Make sure the old crush washer is removed from the exhaust ports.Take some solvent and wipe any grease/dirt from the mating surfaces(the pipes must be clean at this area too).

2.Using some heavy grease,place the new crush washers with the widest part against the port.

3.Slide down the pipes the four(4) exhaust clamps.

4.Two half moon or "C" clamps are used to secure the pipe to the ehaust clamps for each pipe.

5.I like using masking tape to keep the "C"pieces in place on the pipes.It will smell a little, but burn off later.

6.It will help a lot by using a friend to line up the pipes with the ports on installation.

7.Carefully slide the exhaust clamps over the taped "C" clamps and slide them over the exhaust port studs.

8.Start the nuts that hold the system to the ports and tighten them down to "snug" on all eight(8) nuts.

9.The rear of the exhaust system will need support, so you must fabricate something before engine start or going for a ride.

10.A piece of metal attached to a rear foot peg will probably work.

11.After securing the exhaust system, it's time to start the engine and check for exhaust leaks.

12.With the engine running(you might get a fan to prevent over heating)tighten up the exhaust clamps evenly until the noise stops(it's more like a popping or sizzle sound).

13. If you're happy with the mounting, and the system sounds good, go for short ride and see if the performance has improved.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Apr 2010 17:04 #361765 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic Installing Replacement Pipes
Hi! New guy here.First post/reply. I have used Permatex Copper gasket sealer to help hold/seal the crush rings in the head.Works pretty good.Also,the tape idea is good for holding the split rings to the headder.I use a high temp cloth type that I get from work.Also,I don't fully tighten the flange bolts untill the baffle/mufflers are hung,and at least semi secure.BTW,any clues as to a good 4 into 1 for a 82 KZ1100A Shaft bike?I like the V&H on my '80 750LTD,but they don't have a specific listing for it.MAC lists one that will fit 1000's,and also the 1100,so I'm wondering if the V&H that fits the 1000's will also fit the 1100.Thanks.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

More
19 Apr 2010 19:22 #361799 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Installing Replacement Pipes
Try www.z1enterprises.com first for exhaust systems.

Kerker part# 127-61001 and # 127-61004 should fit.

Supertrapp industries makes the Kerker systems.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Apr 2010 20:20 - 19 Apr 2010 20:23 #361809 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Installing Replacement Pipes
Sometimes old existing copper crush washers (that seal the exhaust header pipes against the head) will get so sooty and carbon-encrusted into position that they are almost impossible to see and then go unnoticed. Could use a dental pick or similar tool to peck around and assure the old gasket comes out of the seat.

As havakaw suggested, it's okay to put a dab of Permatex Hi-temp Copper Silicone on the new copper crush washers to help hold then in position against the head, while fumbling around with and keeping all the other parts together and lined up during installation.

And the masking tape, as already mentioned, will hold the half-collars in position on the pipes. Be sure the large flared ends of the half-collars are furtherest from the engine. And that the unflared ends are closest to the engine.

Also, don't force anything, and just keep wiggling and shifting the header until it goes into position. And the clamps slip onto the studs.

Don't over-tighten the nuts. "Snug" is just fine.

If needed, here's the exhaust system parts diagram from kawasaki.com:

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image to enhance view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 20:23 by Patton.