1977 kz650 points..no spark in 1 and 4

More
19 Apr 2010 13:17 #361718 by runningtat
1977 kz650 points..no spark in 1 and 4 was created by runningtat
hi all....slight problem..i changed the end connectors on the plug wires...checked the ignition coils..both are good....spark in 2 and 3 but not in 1 and 4...spark in 2 and 3 point but not in 1 and 2. i clesned the points and both appear to close tightly...condenser issues possibly

runningtat
1977 kz650
nova scotia, canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2010 14:57 #361747 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic 1977 kz650 points..no spark in 1 and 4
Did you check the dwell and gap on your points? Also, are the 1-4 points timed correctly? If you answered yes to all those questions check and make sure that the wire terminal on the 1-4 lead is not grounding out on the points plate where it connects to the condenser. Or it might be time to replace the condenser.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
20 Apr 2010 09:31 #361899 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic 1977 kz650 points..no spark in 1 and 4
I know this dosent really answer your question, but I got shed of the points and installed a dyna unit, made all the difference in the world on how the bike ran

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
20 Apr 2010 11:31 #361951 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1977 kz650 points..no spark in 1 and 4
runningtat wrote:

hi all....slight problem..i changed the end connectors on the plug wires...checked the ignition coils..both are good....spark in 2 and 3 but not in 1 and 4...spark in 2 and 3 point but not in 1 and 2. i clesned the points and both appear to close tightly...condenser issues possibly

runningtat
1977 kz650
nova scotia, canada

If not already done, would check the following:

Assure batt+ voltage is reaching primary terminal of #1/4 coil;

Assure good connection at other primary terminal of #1/4 coil
(this wire runs to the left-side points).

When closed, the left-side points are furnishing a ground for the #1/4 coil primary winding.

When the points open, the coil primary winding is then ungrounded, which causes the coil to fire through the spark plug wires. At least that's the way it's supposed to happen.

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image to enhance view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
20 Apr 2010 13:38 #361981 by Gorham
Replied by Gorham on topic 1977 kz650 points..no spark in 1 and 4
I had this issue this afternoon with my 80' 650. I took a fingernail file to the set of points that wasn't firing to clean them up, and it fired right up after that. one set of points wasn't firing AT ALL. No visible spark of any kind at the spark plugs or between the points gap.

So much for the time spent following the wiring and testing everything... even though it's important to do. ;)

More
20 Apr 2010 15:06 #362000 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1977 kz650 points..no spark in 1 and 4
Gorham wrote:

I had this issue this afternoon with my 80' 650. I took a fingernail file to the set of points that wasn't firing to clean them up, and it fired right up after that. one set of points wasn't firing AT ALL. No visible spark of any kind at the spark plugs or between the points gap.

So much for the time spent following the wiring and testing everything... even though it's important to do. ;)

Clean points are of course essential, and were here reportedly already cleaned and closing tightly.

Also essential is voltage to the coil conducted through its primary winding and on to the points, where clean contacts conduct to ground.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Apr 2010 15:57 #362445 by Gorham
Replied by Gorham on topic 1977 kz650 points..no spark in 1 and 4
Patton wrote:

Gorham wrote:

Clean points are of course essential, and were here reportedly already cleaned and closing tightly.

Just thought i would chime in with my anecdote of hope in a similar situation...