clutch problem

• raginpolock01
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Apr 2010 12:05 #361701 by raginpolock01
clutch problem was created by raginpolock01
Hello i just bought a 1978 kz1000 and i need help with a few questions. it needs a tire and chain but every thing else is there and it starts with one kick so i think it was a steal at $200. but now im wondering if maybe there is somthing wrong with the clutch. when i pull in the lever i dont feel anything move there is a new cable but what do i look for to see if its working if there is no chain on the bike ? if anyone one has any suggetions that would be a great help thanks .....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2010 13:34 #361722 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic clutch problem
Your clutch is engaged/released thru the cable. One end is connected to the clutch lever on your handlebar, and the other end is connected to the clutch release mechanism under the sprocket cover, on the left side of the engine (follow the cable). You should feel resistance when you pull in the clutch lever, and it should spring back when you release the lever. The system is adjustable at the clutch lever, and also with a barrel nut half-way down the cable.
If the clutch cable is connected at both ends, and not stretched past it's usable life, then you should be able to adjust the slop out of the cable.
If the sprocket cover is loose, then it won't work right. The release mechanism needs to push against a rod, and the cover needs to be bolted on for it transfer the movement.
Good luck,
Tim

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.