1977 KZ1000 kick starter questions

More
16 Apr 2010 20:10 - 16 Apr 2010 20:16 #361230 by Wstar425
1977 KZ1000 kick starter questions was created by Wstar425
I'm working on this bike for a friend. He was riding it and the kick starter spun around and hit his girlfriend in the shin, about breaking her leg. Engine seized up, he pulled in the clutch. Engine will run with the clutch pulled in but dies when you release clutch.

I researched this and it seemed like it was the kick starter gear. I have pulled the engine, split the case and the kick starter gear is seized on the shaft. It seems like it should spin freely, the only way I can see that it works. The kick starter engages first gear, which engages the ring gear on the clutch basket which engages a gear on the crank. Am I understanding this correctly?

Anyway, I have the kick starter gear in my hand and torn apart. As I said, gear is stuck on the shaft. Bushing will not come off the end either.

Also, the output shaft bearing is toast, this may have been what seized the k/s gear as it is just a bushing and right across the crankcase with splash oil feed so some metal could have gotten in there.

I have heard some rumors about a block off plate for the gear shifter shaft opening. I would be fine with that or parts if I could find them cheaply enough. New is over $125.00 and looks like bushing is N/A. I just got in so local K dealer is not open. If I can't get the output shaft bearing then I guess engine is toast. I had it running before I tore it apart and it seemed to be ok as long as the clutch was pulled in.

So, I just started looking for parts, this is my first stop. Any ideas, or sites would be appreciated. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of my assumptions. I am in a little over my head here. I have a manual, just followed along and everything seemed to sort of make sense, so I think I can get it back together if I can get the parts.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

Ride safely!

This is the GOOD side! If we get it running correctly the owner wants to put some money into cosmetics. We will see!
Last edit: 16 Apr 2010 20:16 by Wstar425.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2010 20:27 #361233 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic 1977 KZ1000 kick starter questions
I had exactly the same thing happen with the Kick-Starter on a KZ1000. It came around at 50 miles an hour and locked-up under the footpeg skidding to a stop.. Broke the cases on mine. Had to get new cases. I'm now a fan of the Block-Off Plate and no Kick-Starter.

More
16 Apr 2010 20:34 #361235 by Wstar425
Replied by Wstar425 on topic 1977 KZ1000 kick starter questions
I think that is the route we are going.

Where did you get the block off plate, or did you make one. Otherwise I was thinking to take the gear off the shaft and just put it back together with the stub sticking out of the case and not put the lever on.

I like the idea of a block off plate better though.

Right now the gear is seized on the shaft. I tried pounding on it, but no moving. Without damaging the shaft I think I need some heat and or a press.

Done for the day, just doing some research.

Thanks

More
16 Apr 2010 20:57 #361239 by Kraz1

More
16 Apr 2010 21:06 - 16 Apr 2010 21:08 #361242 by Wstar425
Replied by Wstar425 on topic 1977 KZ1000 kick starter questions
Kraz1 wrote:

kzzone.com/

That will work, thanks!

Are you the one with the two tone ZL900 in California? Maybe that is Krazy1.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2010 21:08 by Wstar425.

More
16 Apr 2010 21:26 #361249 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic 1977 KZ1000 kick starter questions
No sir.... No ZL for me. I have a Z1000. I sent you a PM...