How well built are the EK 219H camchains?

More
16 Apr 2010 14:28 #361174 by oppie501
Just lookin for anyones input on the EK 219H camchains? I have a 77 kz 1000 w/ 30,000 on her. Doin a rering and head work and thinkin bout changin timing components while im in there. I know many people don't approve of a masterlink. I have used them with success and take great care in the press distance and stake. I would like to use the tsubaki chain, but no body can get the masterlinks at this time. Tried Z1,Redline and a few other vendors, but no luck. :( Thanks 4 the input on Ek's durability. I'm runnin stock cams and springs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2010 15:32 #361183 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic How well built are the EK 219H camchains?
if thats the regular one z-1 sells, i put mine through the ringer with a master link and it held up fine.....

More
16 Apr 2010 15:59 #361191 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic How well built are the EK 219H camchains?
30K isn't much on a cam chain if oil has been maintained. Before replacing you may want to measure as described in factory service manual. You may find it is well within spec. My KZ650C1 has nearly 50k miles and the chain is nowhere near the service limit yet. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Apr 2010 16:33 #361199 by keith1
650ed wrote:

30K isn't much on a cam chain if oil has been maintained. Before replacing you may want to measure as described in factory service manual. You may find it is well within spec. My KZ650C1 has nearly 50k miles and the chain is nowhere near the service limit yet. Ed

good point..!..B)

More
16 Apr 2010 16:35 #361201 by oppie501
Replied by oppie501 on topic How well built are the EK 219H camchains?
Yes I believe it is. I think z1 offers 2 different camchains. The tsubaki and the ek. Just curious, what happened, to run yours through the ringer?

More
16 Apr 2010 16:43 #361202 by keith1
oppie501 wrote:

Yes I believe it is. I think z1 offers 2 different camchains. The tsubaki and the ek. Just curious, what happened, to run yours through the ringer?

i reset my cams without removing ape tensioner...just backed it out all the way.....no slight on the ape tensioner, still use it....anyhow,after i had it running again , chain was noisy....tightened some more.....noticed bits in oil on a 1000 mile rebuild.....took it apart....chain had jumped oem rear sprocket and was riding
between sprocket and the bracket holding sprocket to tensioner......rookie mistake......i learned 2 things....always fully remove tensioner when re-setting cams and be aware that a too tight cam chain is not a good thing......very expensive lesson.....
Attachments: