Clutch question

More
13 Apr 2010 11:57 #360379 by djcody
Clutch question was created by djcody
My 77 650C runs and switches gears fine but at a stop and sometimes at a near stop it wont just go into neutral. I have to pull up hard and it goes into 2nd and try to tap it and hope it doesnt go back into 1st. I use Shell Rotella oil and have tried other oils and has no change. This has been going on a while and it just keeps getting more aggrivating at times. The cable is good and I believe its adjusted properly with the appropriate slack. Any suggestions?

77 KZ650C airpods and 4 into 2 turn outs exhaust. VM carbs

82 550 LTD all stock except air pods

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2010 12:24 #360385 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch question
djcody wrote:

My 77 650C runs and switches gears fine but at a stop and sometimes at a near stop it wont just go into neutral. I have to pull up hard and it goes into 2nd and try to tap it and hope it doesnt go back into 1st. I use Shell Rotella oil and have tried other oils and has no change. This has been going on a while and it just keeps getting more aggrivating at times. The cable is good and I believe its adjusted properly with the appropriate slack. Any suggestions?

Something is wrong, because after stopping it should not go into second from low until the wheels are rolling again.

When at a standstill, the tranny should shift only between low and neutral. If came to a stop while in a higher gear, should be able while stopped to downshift through the gears until reaching neutral and then low gear.

If not already done, could try shifting into low just before completing the stop and stopping while in low gear. Then while still stopped, upshift into neutral.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Apr 2010 13:14 #360396 by djcody
Replied by djcody on topic Clutch question
Guess the best way to describe it is that its like there IS NO neutral. Its hit or miss that u get to see that lovely green light lol. When at a stop it doesnt just slide up into 2nd. I lift to try to put in neutral and it doesnt budge, so i put more pressure on and nothing, then i put enough to hurt the top of my foot and it slips past neutral and into 2nd. But like i said, it rides fine and changes gears when riding just fine, its just neutral thats a pain

More
13 Apr 2010 13:16 #360398 by djcody
Replied by djcody on topic Clutch question
When coming to a light I can get it to go to neutral 75% of the time by just giving a tiny light tap from 2nd.