Broken Shifter Return Spring

More
12 Apr 2010 09:41 #360118 by patmann
Broken Shifter Return Spring was created by patmann
Please forgive me, as I have taken about a year off from riding due to both my aging parents health and a few other issues.
As weather permited it, I once again returned to the first love of mine.. my 1974 Z1.
As luck would have it on my second ride in almost a year, the shifter return spring broke on me during a 60 mile ride.
I knew what happened the second I couldn't shift correctly.
Took things apart, sure enough!
Now, the reasons I'm posting...
I have multiple service manuals, including the factory ones for both the Z1 and 900KZ.
I have read in at least one ( Chiltons? ) that I am NOT to pull/remove the shifter shaft more than 1.5 inches or something ( don't have it with me here @ work today ) will fall inside the transmission, thus making me a very unhappy boy. And require engine removal/spliting of the cases ect..
Is this true? And if so how do I replace, once Jeff has stock, the spring??:huh:

I have searched other postings but found no mention as to if they needed to pull the engine/split the cases. This would seem to me at least to be a really stupid thing, since the item to be replaced is OUTSIDE the case.
Any and all advice would GREATLY appreciated in this matter,
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2010 09:49 #360121 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Broken Shifter Return Spring
Hi Pat, welcome back...

It's a fairly easy fix. You need to remove the footrest, the sprocket cover, the front sprocket and then the transmission cover. The spring is behind that cover.

Yes, under no circumstances do you want to pull the shaft that the shift forks sit on... In this case there's no need anyway.

You need the spring with three coils. 92083-021. We are out of them for the moment (about 10 days before we get more from Japan).

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
12 Apr 2010 11:17 #360132 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Broken Shifter Return Spring
Thanks for the speedy reply Jeff.
On Saturday when it broke, my wife wanted me to call " that guy you know who owns that company, whose shirts you wear".:blink:
I figured she meant you.

I already have those items off, and am able to remove one short peice of the broken spring.
But how do I remove the rest of the spring and replace it without removing the shaft??
I stopped once I found the problem. I didn't want to mess anything up that I didn't have too!
But since the spring is behind the "plate or arm" that the shift pawl is attached to, how do I get to it?
Does it ( the arm/plate) slide off the shift shaft? Thus giving me excess to it?
Again, at work so unable to look at it.
Be gentle, I'm old and slow, but teachable.
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
12 Apr 2010 13:25 - 12 Apr 2010 13:35 #360153 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Broken Shifter Return Spring
. :pinch:

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Apr 2010 13:35 by OnkelB.

More
12 Apr 2010 13:32 - 13 Apr 2010 03:32 #360155 by OnkelB
Hi Pat, long time no see, welcome back.

The shift shaft (the one your gear shift lever sits on) can be removed without problems, just hold the shift pawls free of the selector pins and pull the assy out to access/replace the return spring.

A little above the shift shaft you'll see the end of another shaft (marked in he pic below) - if it's anything like the 650s it's just a blank shaft end (no splines) with a c-clip on it. This is the shaft you don't want to pull - it holds the shift forks in position in the shift drum, if you pull it out the shift forks will fall down and you'll have to split the cases to reinstall them.

Here's removing the shift shaft on a 650, click the pic to enlarge - your bike may be slightly different but you get the idea:

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Apr 2010 03:32 by OnkelB.

More
12 Apr 2010 13:49 #360157 by patmann
THANKS!!!! I was "ass-u-m(e)ing " it was refering to the shaft that had the spring on it. And as they say, once bitten, twice shy. I will look futher tonight once I get home.
How did I ever make it a year without you wonderful people??
Oh I know... I didn't touch my bike for almost a year!;)
The addiction is coming back..
Thanks again, Pat

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
12 Apr 2010 14:05 #360159 by OnkelB
No problem, you're welcome.

More
13 Apr 2010 06:37 - 13 Apr 2010 06:37 #360311 by patmann
Took a look last night, sure enough! Just as pictured and described. Cleaned everything up, even have a new gasket for the cover sitting here.

Another question..
Need I worry about the three seals on the transmission cover?
They did not leak before, but that was before I took it off.
OR should I just inspect as I have, lube, install and hope for the best?
Pat

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
Last edit: 13 Apr 2010 06:37 by patmann.