Head is back on!

More
06 Apr 2010 22:24 #358902 by fordtruck
Head is back on! was created by fordtruck
This morning I installed my freshly rebuilt and ported head. I got as far as getting the cams back in and the top cam chain idler sprocket back on.

My goal tomorrow is to install the cam chain tensioner and verify cam timing. I should also have time to get the intake manifolds on and maybe the carbs. With a little luck I'll hear it roar to life by the weekend.

It's been nearly three months since I tore my motor apart in preparation for the 1075 build. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now!

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Apr 2010 02:57 #358915 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Head is back on!
Good luck.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2010 04:33 #358922 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Head is back on!
Put sealer on the intake boots ;) Use allen bolts, they're easier to tighten up with the head on the motor and the motor in the frame.

Dip your shims in some oil when you get the final setting for your valves. The oil helps hold the shim in the bucket.

I'd go max loose on both sides with the lash adjustment.

Also, remember to get after the head nuts with the torque wrench after the first heat cycle and cool down. DON'T SKIP THAT STEP :)

More
07 Apr 2010 07:25 #358951 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Head is back on!
we want pics and/or vid!!!!!!!!!!!B)

More
07 Apr 2010 08:27 #358963 by elseed
Replied by elseed on topic Head is back on!
After setting timing, if you feel any resistance while gently turning the engine, for God's sake STOP and don't force it!

Bending a couple of gleaming fresh valves cause you're in a hurry is supposedly a major bummer, expensive, and emotionally draining. :( Or so I've heard.

'75 Z1B with mods