What's this noise? Cam Chain?

More
04 Apr 2010 15:00 - 04 Apr 2010 15:02 #358403 by Gorham
What's this noise? Cam Chain? was created by Gorham
Hey guys,

I have this high pitched noise (like a remote control race car...) coming from my cam area. I checked out some threads about cam noise, but they seemed equated to a 'rattling' of sorts, not this high pitched noise.
I also recently readjusted my valve clearances with new shims. I didn't take the cams out to do so. I kept them on the chain and just lifted them up to get to the shims. I checked the links in the chain & timing before i put it back together. I also tried to adjust the cam chain tensioner, but it doesn't seem to help the noise any. It seems a little tight when i turn the 17mm lock nut to get it to TDC too. What is this noise and how do i fix it?

1980 KZ650 E1

s29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/_ENGINEE...rrent=KZvideo001.flv
Last edit: 04 Apr 2010 15:02 by Gorham.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2010 15:39 #358406 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic What's this noise? Cam Chain?
I have a KZ750-4 with a manual chain tensioner, and it made a similar noise once when I had the tensioner too tight. I readjusted it, loosening it by one turn, and the noise went away. Note also that if you adjust the tensioner before putting the cover back on, the chain will be too tight. Just some ideas.

More
04 Apr 2010 15:43 #358407 by Gorham
Replied by Gorham on topic What's this noise? Cam Chain?
I just realized my bike, being a 1980, has an automatic tensioner. So me 'adjusting' it isn't doing anything. no wonder turning the screw didn't make a difference...

If the cam chain is too tight, and my tensioner is automatic, what do i do to fix it?

• MentalMike
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
04 Apr 2010 15:56 #358415 by MentalMike
Replied by MentalMike on topic What's this noise? Cam Chain?
If you've got dirt and grime inside the tensioner body, it will keep it from adjusting properly. You must take it apart and clean it with a solvent and regrease. Follow your manual. B)

I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
1985 Kawasaki ZX900A2 GPZ (2)
1985 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
2013 Kawasaki C14 Concours

More
04 Apr 2010 17:33 #358427 by Gorham
I took the automatic tensioner off to check it out, and it's clean. no grime or dirt. it was kind of strange putting it back on though. it seems like there's some trick to getting it back on then setting the tension, but there's no way to compress it tightly without the spring pushing it forward all the way until the bolt stops it. the manual said nothing about putting it back on. is there something i'm missing?

More
04 Apr 2010 18:08 #358437 by JR
Replied by JR on topic What's this noise? Cam Chain?
You have to compress it and tighten the bolt on the side before putting it back on the bike. It can be tricky. Start with the tensioner rod out all the way. press it down against a work bench and tighten the bolt on the side. I know. If it starts to come out you have to let it out all the way before you can try compressing again.

Once you get it on the bike, set TDC and then release the side bolt and the tensioner rod springs forward. Then tighten (dont over thighten) the side bolt and then tighten the locknut.

Good luck.... and have patience.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
04 Apr 2010 18:23 #358440 by Gorham
JR wrote:

You have to compress it and tighten the bolt on the side before putting it back on the bike. It can be tricky. Start with the tensioner rod out all the way. press it down against a work bench and tighten the bolt on the side. I know. If it starts to come out you have to let it out all the way before you can try compressing again.

Once you get it on the bike, set TDC and then release the side bolt and the tensioner rod springs forward. Then tighten (dont over thighten) the side bolt and then tighten the locknut.

Good luck.... and have patience.

Now this makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

Much appreciated.