Not running good

More
04 Apr 2010 07:37 #358335 by fireguy55
Not running good was created by fireguy55
When my 75 KZ400 is at and idle the right side exhaust is making a popping sound, and doesn't run right at cruising speed. it cuts out pretty bad, it also does it when I get on the gas pretty hard. Then the left side spark plug is black, but the right side looks almost perfect and they wre brand new plugs. What do I need to do???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2010 07:42 #358336 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Not running good
Need a little more info. When was the last time the bike ran well; did this problem just start? Did the bike sit unused for an extended period prior to this problem? The reason I ask is it could just be a dirty carb if the bike ran ok the last time it was used on a regular basis. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Apr 2010 08:19 #358343 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Not running good
Well you say nothing about checking anything yet?
Start with spark, are you still running points?
If good, take the drain screw out of the carb with a funnel under the hole to a catch clean container, and then put the petcock at PRIME. Let the fuel flow over the needle and seat for a bit, then turn it off. Now you will see if gunk is in the bowl/ and you will have rinsed the needle and seat.
Do you run a fuel filter?
Have you got a compression tester?
You may need to rebuild your carb's, as the fuel circuits could be plugged, very common. But also check for vacuum leaks at the intake manifolds.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
04 Apr 2010 12:15 #358382 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Not running good
Does sound like carb problems. Always first thing is drain and rinse the tank, clean the petcock assembly, drain clean fuel dwon through the carb drains, and run some cleaner in the system. Inline filters always a must.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Apr 2010 12:46 #358392 by fireguy55
Replied by fireguy55 on topic Not running good
I had the bike given to me in october, and the last time it had a license plate sticker on it was 1986....so yes it's been sitting a long time. The guy that gave it to me said the carbs were dirty so he cleaned them up. I have inline fuel filters but they didn't seem to be filling up with fuel so I took them off. There was some rust in the tank but I got a lot of it out. I've pladed with the fuel air mixture and the float because it was pouring out of the overflow. I don't have any of the tools that would be required to test compression or vacuum. I adjusted the points and timing so that should be good now. It idles fine but once it gets on the road it's not smooth at all. The previous owner cut off the megaphones b/c they were rusted out. I put some internal baffles in. Would it help if I got some of the packing to go around the baffles?

More
04 Apr 2010 14:41 #358402 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Not running good
Without a doubt you need to clean the carbs and put the fuel filter back on. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
04 Apr 2010 18:58 #358450 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Not running good
Dont bother with the exhaust, focus on those carbs.

1st: Get a manual, you need it. Bikes require lots of maintenece and patience.

Do everything listed in the maintenence chapter.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)