GPZ cams in a kz750

More
29 Mar 2010 22:14 #357121 by chrispysaki
GPZ cams in a kz750 was created by chrispysaki
I just picked up some gpz 750 cams that I'm going to put in my kz, and I just wanted to make sure that I bolt the cam sprockets to the cams in the same place they were for the gpz. The exhaust cams line up with square opening in the sprocket and the intake ones line up with the round sprocket holes.

Also, it's not explained in the FSM which direction I should turn the crank at the ignition in order to set the pistons at TDC. I assumed I should turn it clockwise (the same direction the wheels turn when going forward), but looking through the manual for a kz400, it says to turn the crank counterclockwise. Does it matter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2010 05:13 #357143 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic GPZ cams in a kz750
chrispysaki wrote:

I just picked up some gpz 750 cams that I'm going to put in my kz, and I just wanted to make sure that I bolt the cam sprockets to the cams in the same place they were for the gpz. The exhaust cams line up with square opening in the sprocket and the intake ones line up with the round sprocket holes.

Also, it's not explained in the FSM which direction I should turn the crank at the ignition in order to set the pistons at TDC. I assumed I should turn it clockwise (the same direction the wheels turn when going forward), but looking through the manual for a kz400, it says to turn the crank counterclockwise. Does it matter?

YES! Turn it forward / CW.

Get the right manual for your bike before you end up with bent valves :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.