Ready to finish restore on 1980 KZ750-E

More
18 Mar 2010 16:45 #354367 by rayellis
Ready to finish restore on 1980 KZ750-E was created by rayellis
So, Finally ready to get going on this restore and was needing some advice. I have broke down engine and ready to get parts but I'm not sure if I want to just do top end or go into bottom also. Some history on bike is it went under water and was not running for a long time. I was able to get it running but it developed a low compression problem in 2 cylinders.

That being said I have the motor in half with top end in pieces. Bottom looks fine ,in my opinion, but I was thinking since I have it apart might want to go on and do a full overhaul. Not looking forward to splitting cases!

Anyone have any advice on gasket brands? Make your own or stay with Kawasaki(or OEM)do I need all gaskets or just the head gasket and use liquid gasket for the others?

Sorry lots of questions but I do appreciate any advice!

Thanks
Ray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
18 Mar 2010 19:11 - 18 Mar 2010 19:13 #354399 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Ready to finish restore on 1980 KZ750-E
Splitting the cases is really easy, just go for it and have a like new engine.

Proper Head Gasket with coppers.

Use Yamabond, or 1104 i think its called for the base gasket.

Liquid gasket for all others.

Call Jeff @ Z1Enterprises.com, He'll set you straight.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2010 19:13 by TeK9iNe.

More
18 Mar 2010 19:55 #354413 by rayellis
Replied by rayellis on topic Ready to finish restore on 1980 KZ750-E
So, Head gasket get from z1 and use yamabond or 1104(not sure what that is?)Is this a gasket for the base it must be? Use all others liquid.

thanx

More
18 Mar 2010 21:57 - 18 Mar 2010 21:59 #354454 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Ready to finish restore on 1980 KZ750-E
I would not substitute liquid gasket alone if there is a gasket there. You can get rebuild gasket sets pretty cheap. I recommend OEM for the critical gaskets (head and base) but aftermarket are usually OK for general use.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 18 Mar 2010 21:59 by bountyhunter.

More
19 Mar 2010 03:16 #354472 by leet255
Replied by leet255 on topic Ready to finish restore on 1980 KZ750-E
OK, I have the same bike. Found it leaning against a barn where it had been sitting for 15 years. I am far from an expert but, from what I have learned is that the bottom end is practically indestuctible. Buy all of the OEM gaskets that you need. Go through the top end and replace anything that is suspect. Put it all back together and have a whole lotta fun

1980 750KZe

More
19 Mar 2010 04:48 #354486 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Ready to finish restore on 1980 KZ750-E
rayellis wrote:

So, Head gasket get from z1 and use yamabond or 1104(not sure what that is?)Is this a gasket for the base it must be? Use all others liquid.

thanx

1104 is a semi-drying liquid gasket that is used with paper gaskets. Use a paper gasket where one is required...don't use liquid gasket in place of the paper gasket. Gasket sets are fairly inexpensive and many times the price of the head gasket alone will almost equal the price of an entire upper end set (which includes the head gasket). There are a number of inexpensive aftermarket gasket makers for your bike...Athena and Vesrah leap to mind. I use Vesrah because I can easily and rapidly get them from www.Z1Enterprises.com but Jeff at Z1E can also get the OEM gaskets if you so choose. Beware of buying OEM gaskets from eBay as you might be buying a 30 year-old set that could be quite brittle.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
19 Mar 2010 05:46 #354498 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Ready to finish restore on 1980 KZ750-E
I was like you and was not looking forward to splitting the case on my rebuild. I had never done a 4-cylinder before and thought it would be a nasty job. It really isn't though. I tore apart a 650 engine that had 30-40,000 on it. I found nothing wrong, as most do in the bottom end of these engines. It is worth the work to be sure of what condition the motor is when you are done. I used Hondabond to put the cases together, same stuff as Yamabond. The tricky part is applying the sealant and getting everything ready and lined up to go back together so you can getthe case halves together before the sealant sets up.

I would also take the opportunity to rebuild the starter clutch wile you can its a very cheap fix too. You won't have to worry about problems with it when your done.

Kasasaki has the main and rod bearings, I got a gasket set from e-bay, and good valve stem seals from Z1 enterprises. I also replaced every seal and o-ring in the engine they are available from Kawasaki still.
You can use cheap paper gaskets, but don't use cheap valve steam seals, and find a decent head gasket.

Are you keeping it stock or going to 810cc?

[IMG

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
19 Mar 2010 08:15 - 19 Mar 2010 08:17 #354513 by rayellis
Replied by rayellis on topic Ready to finish restore on 1980 KZ750-E
Would love to put the 810cc kit in but I'm not sure I want to sink that kind of money in this bike. I would easily put $500 in the engine with the kit but I could stay stock pistons and just put $500 in the bike. Most likely I will still spend more than that but that's my estimated budget.

I have my pistons and I picked another set of used pistons off ebay. Most likely will go with one or the other. I will get new rings and have cylinder de-glazed and cross hatched. I have thought of maybe buying new stock pistons but still thinking about that.

This bike still needs a lot of work and money to get it completed.Carbs will need rebuild and most likely more than that. Brakes will need rebuild,electrical needs much attention,both controls throttle and clutch need help if not total replacement,cables look to be ok,front and rear shocks need work and exhaust needs major repair and maybe replacement.That's what I can tell so far but who knows what I might find!

I would like to keep it stock but it's not a big deal one way or the other. If I had a unlimited supply of money I might put the 810 kit in it. My first idea was to turn it into a rat bike but kind of like the stock bike. I could keep parts and change it back to stock.Rat bikes are cool but I'm torn on this and I easily change my mind.

Thanx
Last edit: 19 Mar 2010 08:17 by rayellis.