Cam chain adjustment, and engine tick, tap

• shizzomynizzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Mar 2010 18:34 #353732 by shizzomynizzo
Cam chain adjustment, and engine tick, tap was created by shizzomynizzo
Hi again,

I have an 81 kz550. I tried searching this one but turned up little or no results.

After the engine warms up it begins to tick or tap. If it were my car making this sound, I would say a lifter tap.

Anyway, I am going to be checking the valves soon, just gotta find the time. I had a similar sound from my honda, and adjusted the cam chain, set the valves, and it went away.

I cannot seem to find out how to adjust the cam chain on this bike. I do have a manual, and it only gives a slight description on how to remove and install the chain and tensioner. can the cam chain be adjusted on this bike?

Thank you

24 hours in a day...24 beers in a case

1981 KZ550 ***SOLD***
1982 KZ1100 A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2010 18:57 #353735 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Cam chain adjustment, and engine tick, tap
Cam chain adjust is done automatically. 90% of all valve noise is actually exhaust leaks. Check around the emissions ports on top of the engine and your exhaust pipes into the head particularly if they have been worked with recently. Funny how exhaust leaks can really throw a curve and the fact it's worse when hot points more to the exhaust than the valves.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
15 Mar 2010 19:23 - 17 Mar 2010 00:19 #353740 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cam chain adjustment, and engine tick, tap
shizzomynizzo wrote:

Hi again,

I have an 81 kz550. I tried searching this one but turned up little or no results.

After the engine warms up it begins to tick or tap. If it were my car making this sound, I would say a lifter tap.

Anyway, I am going to be checking the valves soon, just gotta find the time. I had a similar sound from my honda, and adjusted the cam chain, set the valves, and it went away.

I cannot seem to find out how to adjust the cam chain on this bike. I do have a manual, and it only gives a slight description on how to remove and install the chain and tensioner. can the cam chain be adjusted on this bike?

Thank you

The cam chain tensioner, attached to the cylinders underneath the carb holders, is supposed to keep the cam chain tension adjusted correctly. Designs have evolved toward requiring less active maintenance. On models where periodic attention is required, it is typically a routine maintenance item which should be covered in the manual, and doesn't involve removing the cam chain or valve cover.

Cam chain noise (as opposed to tappet noise) may be reduced by having correct tension. And is further reduced by having closely synched carbs.

Even correct valve clearances often tick.
When there're clickin' they aint stickin'. :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 17 Mar 2010 00:19 by Patton.

• shizzomynizzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Mar 2010 19:43 #353745 by shizzomynizzo
Replied by shizzomynizzo on topic Cam chain adjustment, and engine tick, tap
So am I supposed to adjust the cam chain? at one point you say its supposed to be automatically, and then say its covered in the manual. I can't find anything in the manual, looked in the index, everything with reference to the cam chain and maint.

I don't think its an exhaust leak, but I could be wrong. I will check it out. I do have to sync the carbs, I just received my carbtune today.

thanks again

1981 KZ550 ***SOLD***
1982 KZ1100 A2

More
15 Mar 2010 20:43 #353756 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cam chain adjustment, and engine tick, tap
shizzomynizzo wrote:

So am I supposed to adjust the cam chain? at one point you say its supposed to be automatically, and then say its covered in the manual. I can't find anything in the manual, looked in the index, everything with reference to the cam chain and maint....

Z1 and KZ900 tensioner has a bolt that's loosened to allow an internal spring to apply correct pressure against the cam chain slider. Then the bolt is re-tightened, whereupon the tensioner adjustment is completed.

This pic from kawasaki.com of 1981 KZ550 tensioner doesn't seem to show any adjustment potential. So perhaps none is needed.

Maybe an internal tensioner spring has weakened, or possibly the cam chain has stretched beyond specs --- just guessing.

Good Fortune!

[Click on image to enhance view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• shizzomynizzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Mar 2010 18:49 #353937 by shizzomynizzo
Replied by shizzomynizzo on topic Cam chain adjustment, and engine tick, tap
Is the ticking a normal sound for these engines?

1981 KZ550 ***SOLD***
1982 KZ1100 A2