air cut off switch

More
13 Mar 2010 07:05 #353067 by mastermudd
air cut off switch was created by mastermudd
i have an 82 kz1100A shaft, and i was looking at it last night and saw the assembly for the air cutoff switch. didn't even know what it was till i looked into it. how exactly does this work? it's a far cry from anything on my previous bikes. i deduce that it somehow acts like a choke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2010 10:24 #353097 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic air cut off switch
I believe what you're seeing is part of Kawasaki's Clean Air Suction System(CASS) a type of smog reduction system that introduces fresh filtered air to help combustion.

There are reed valves under the covers that have two rubber hoses connected to this air valve. Most riders have removed this sytem and blocked off the valves with machined plates available from several sources.

Myself,I'm going to remove my bikes CASS when the weather gets warmer. I ordered the kit from www.tpoparts.com # TPOHRSMOG. It comes with two block off plates,screws,vinyl caps and instructions.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Mar 2010 10:39 #353099 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic air cut off switch
It doesn't act like a choke. It injects air into the exhaust. This doesn't really affect combustion or running since it only affects burning outside of the combustion chamber. It is set up to not inject air when you close the throttle. That's why it needs to sense intake manifold vacuum.

Usually the first symptom of it going bad is big back fires when you close the throttle.

More
13 Mar 2010 17:44 #353156 by davel
Replied by davel on topic air cut off switch
loudhvx wrote:

It injects air into the exhaust. This doesn't really affect combustion or running since it only affects burning outside of the combustion chamber.

Though it does reduce cylinder filling by decreasing the scavenging of the cylinder. When the CASS is operating, low pressure in the exhaust pulls fresh air in through the reed valves rather than spent gasses from the cylinder. Not desirable in a high performance application.

More
13 Mar 2010 19:47 #353178 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic air cut off switch
the air cut off he is describing is part of the carb what it does is just that it cuts off air and adds a small amount of fuel on deceleration so the engine wont lean out and afterfire out the exhaust. most of the newer carburated bikes and atv's come with this because they are jetted so lean down low.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2010 21:12 #353198 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic air cut off switch
I don't recall KZ1100 having that type of setup Tim. Generally that's found on big single cylinder engines.

There's a crank case scavanging affect that is a plus for for the clean air system. Everybody bails out on it and forgets about that benfit.

More
13 Mar 2010 23:17 #353218 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic air cut off switch
Interesting, how does the clean air system scavenge the crankcase? On the 550's, there is no connection from crankcase to the clean air system except that they share the airbox. I doubt the clean air contributes much vacuum to the airbox relative the engine intake.

More
14 Mar 2010 06:21 - 14 Mar 2010 06:24 #353243 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic air cut off switch
Just to help you guys discuss this is a diagram of how it works on my 650. :) It allows air in while deaccellerating to burn unburnt fuel. (click to enlarge)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Mar 2010 06:24 by Bluemeanie.

More
14 Mar 2010 07:22 #353256 by mastermudd
Replied by mastermudd on topic air cut off switch
bluemeanie that is exactly what i'm looking at on my 1100. never seen anything like it. i appreciate everyones response. my bike does backfire when i let off the throttle, i assumed it was running to rich. this may offer another explanation.

More
14 Mar 2010 07:33 #353258 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic air cut off switch
mastermudd wrote:

bluemeanie that is exactly what i'm looking at on my 1100. never seen anything like it. i appreciate everyones response. my bike does backfire when i let off the throttle, i assumed it was running to rich. this may offer another explanation.

Sometimes, slight enrichment of the pilot circuit will reduce exhaust popping while decelerating with throttle closed.

Whereas, a leaner pilot circuit may increase the popping.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2010 09:14 #353284 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic air cut off switch
mastermudd wrote:

When that happens you can generally trace it to one of the vacuum hoses that connect the air valve to the intake boots.

Rarely do those valves every go bad. At least they didn't used to :laugh:

It's possible to fabricate a connection to the crankcase breather with the airbox removed to help scavange it.

What's it buy you?

That depends on the motor. On a stocker, not much. On a motor that's been significantly increased in cc, it would be more beneficial.