Exhaust mods for KZ1000p

More
12 Mar 2010 07:24 #352888 by gottmoore
Exhaust mods for KZ1000p was created by gottmoore
Hi,
I've got a 95 police model, and would like to change the sound. Ive already drilled out the tips of the stock pipes with 8- 1/4" holes each, and it helped, but I want more roar.
I bought a Star 4 into 1, but it doesnt fit with with the crash bar in place. The bar stays!

What is the best way to remove the baffles and packing from the stock mufflers and be able to weld them back in if I want to?

PS-My plug color is still pretty dark, so Im not too concerned with opening up the stock pipes to straight megs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2010 05:50 #353234 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Exhaust mods for KZ1000p
Those pipes have no easy way to remove the baffles and be able to put em back. In front of the mufflers there is a streight section of pipe about 4 to 5 inches long you could cut it in the middle of that section and add so type of slip ons . And if you want to put them back just a sleeve to connect them back. I have Mac 4 into one on my cop bike. You can remove the baffels but it will ruin the mufflers..
Attachments:

More
14 Mar 2010 06:12 #353240 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Exhaust mods for KZ1000p
Just so you know what's going on, here is what's in your muffler. It's from a 650 but yours should be the same. B)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
17 Mar 2010 07:33 #354007 by gottmoore
Replied by gottmoore on topic Exhaust mods for KZ1000p
Thanks Guys!
Mine look a little differnt than the above pic, but bascially the same.

The slip ons are a good idea, but I'll keep the stock pipes intact or go to the full header. PS- I like the rear fender!!!! I'll post a pic of my 2 up. It would look great on yours....

I hole sawed out the back plate/baffles(I can weld them back in easily). I got another nominal improvement in sound from the previous drilling, and hasn't changed the overall appearance. Its certainly better, but not "loud" yet. I may do something with the crossover for temporary full volume.

I'll post a couple pics of what I did shortly.

More
07 Apr 2010 08:54 #358969 by gottmoore

So here's the tool, and the results from the baffle removal. 2" hole saw, 4" 1/4-20 bolt, some nuts and washers to keep the socket in place and 17mm socket. The socket keeps the hole saw centered perfectly. The pipes look stock, and I can weld the baffle back without ruining the finish on the pipes. A cheap and quick way to get better sound. The color on the plugs did lighten up a tad, but no major difference.

I did pull out the cross pipe, but it sounds crappy. LOUD, but crappy. Interestingly, it still has flow thourgh the baffles and out the back of the pipes..
Attachments:

More
07 Apr 2010 08:59 #358972 by gottmoore

The 1/4" holes I drilled in the baffle before removal. If you want slightly louder than stock, and don't want to brave chopping out the rear baffle, its an option.
Attachments: