Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fule Additives for hard starter 29 Mar 2006 10:29 #35197

• idkrash
  • idkrash's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Last summer I bought an 82 GPz 750, 4 cylinder. It is in o.k. shape but is a hard starter. I can usually push start it and wish it came with a kick starter, but it doesn't.

It has some electrical issues and I had to use a paperclip to jump a fuse link and get it home one night.

I burned out the starter motor or some part of the circuit before the starter. I bought a multimeter to find out where the problem is, and don't anticipate any major problems fixing that, except that a new starter will be between 130 to 200 bucks.

Does anyone have any preferred gas/oil additives that might motivate the motor to be quicker to turn over?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fule Additives for hard starter 29 Mar 2006 10:37 #35199

• wireman
  • Visitor
try a good tune up,can you get parts to rebuild starter or is it too far gone?;)

Fule Additives for hard starter 29 Mar 2006 11:26 #35209

• idkrash
  • User
No I wouldn't think it would be too far gone, although I sat on the button pretty long sometimes it was a newly replaced when I bought the bike.

It ran all summer pretty much o.k. but was always a little laggy on the start up and it would vapor lock when hot. I suppose after a season of riding a little tune up might help. The seller told me he had just rebuilt the carbs and tuned the bike when I bought it, so I'm guessing its got some debrie or sludge in its guts.

Where could I order parts for a starter. The shop I'm familiar with doesn't have much interest in messing with older bikes and only mentioned that they would charge me 200 bucks for a replacement starter. I found another on ebay for 135.

So yeah if I knew where to order parts from I'd for sure try that first.

Fule Additives for hard starter 29 Mar 2006 11:40 #35211

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I believe there are shops probably car shops which rebuild/rewire starters. I don't think additives will help a cranky starting bike. My 650 used to be a real hard starter until I did a complete rebuild which included going back to stock pipes and airbox. I think general state of tune, good electrics and good compression has the most impact on starting.

Fule Additives for hard starter 29 Mar 2006 12:08 #35218

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Check this place out, I did a Google search for "motorcycle starter rebuild" and it was the first link.

www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/index.php?c=partLookup

Here's another link www.cyclewareables.com/pages/street_star...kits/startmtrkit.htm
They show all kinds of parts for your starter.

Have you checked your wiring to the starter, to make sure it's not corroded and blocking some juice from getting there? I bet the starter wants to see all 12volts or more.

Another thing to check, make sure the oil is the right viscosity. If it's too thick it could slow down the starter a bit on colder days. For instance my bike says 10w-40 up to 20w-50 is ok to run. I use 10w-40. I agree about using additives, they would not help here. What additives would do is mess up your clutch.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/03/29 15:19

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/03/29 15:26
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Fule Additives for hard starter 29 Mar 2006 16:11 #35277

• idkrash
  • User
Thanks for the links and advice. I'll be sure to post pics and let you know how the repairs work out.

I've got two weeks left in this semester then I'm all over that bike.

Thanks again.
:cheer:

• Page: