Engine rebuild of a 78' 650D SR

More
05 Mar 2010 02:33 #351367 by tugmonkey77
Engine rebuild of a 78' 650D SR was created by tugmonkey77
I'm looking for some advice about rebuilding the engine on this bike. I have had her for almost 10yrs and I will never sell. I love this bike. I bought it from the guy who bought it out of the crate. He only put 4,000 miles on it then kept her in a garage for years. when I bought it, she was in pretty bad shape. For the next 3 years (part time) I restored her top to bottom (all except the engine which I was told was in great shape). She's got 70k on her now. last winter I rebuild and rewired her (thanks to those you who helped on that project). I have yet to do anything to the engine and it's really not running right so I think that it maybe time. I know my way around a wrench so i'm looking forward to it but it's a bit intimidating i'd like to be as prepared as possible.

What is the best way to go about it, top end only or total overhaul?
When i'm getting ready for it what besides the kit (gasgets, rings and seals) should I get?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2010 03:12 #351368 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Engine rebuild of a 78' 650D SR
Do you have the KHI Factory Shop Manual? It will have torque specs, tolerances, etc. etc. for the motor and will take the guess-work out of deciding when and how to rebuild. If you do have the factory manual, it will have a listing of all those tools you'll need to do a rebuild...you can decide which tools are necessary, which you can fabricate yourself, and which you can do without. Plan on a top end overhaul but with 70,000 miles be prepared to do rings and cylinders also (although there are a number of KZR members who have far exceeded 70,000 miles without dealing with rings/pistons/cylinders).

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
05 Mar 2010 07:04 #351377 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine rebuild of a 78' 650D SR
Before even considering top end work, would first perform compression test, assure valve clearances being to specs, repeat compression test, AND perform a LEAKDOWN test.

This should give a good idea about engine condition and any problem area. And imo may be helpful even where tear-down is a foregone conclusion, toward better knowing what to look for when getting inside.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2010 09:02 #351407 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Engine rebuild of a 78' 650D SR
I would have to echo the statements of Patton. A "decent" compression tester and leak down tester are available from Harbor Freight for fairly cheap. Or find a buddy who has them and borrow.

More
06 Mar 2010 14:23 #351593 by tugmonkey77
Replied by tugmonkey77 on topic Engine rebuild of a 78' 650D SR
Great ideas gents thank you! I'll do the tests next week and post the results to see what you think. Thanks

More
06 Mar 2010 17:02 #351629 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Engine rebuild of a 78' 650D SR
If the compression and leak down numbers are okay, still check those valve clearances especially if it hasn't been done for some time.

Also, be sure the ignition is in time and up to snuff before going round and round with the carbs.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )