Billet cam tensioner roller - Necessary?

More
03 Mar 2010 06:02 #350986 by T_Dub
Hey guys, I just wanted to run something past you all. I've been debating the need of putting a liska cam chain tensioner roller in my engine. They're pretty costly, but if they're the best option by a long shot I'll probably put one in. So, opinions?

Heres a link to the think on Z1E, just in case I wasn't clear on the part I'm talking about.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3991

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
03 Mar 2010 06:30 #350991 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Billet cam tensioner roller - Necessary?
The stock 1 is made of rubber. Over time the rubber gets hard from the heat. these will not have that problem, and i believe they are cheaper than the OEM's.
If u used all Listka parts, u would no longer have any rubber damping in the system. Is It necessary? Cant say for sure.Kawi thought so.I would tend to agree.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
03 Mar 2010 06:42 #350993 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Billet cam tensioner roller - Necessary?
Just my 2 cents,

I have never done this but... sounds to me that if the existing OEM sprocket is still good, it is worth keeping... not being metal I would think it is quieter, noticeably quieter? Don't know.

I'm sure others who have done this will be by to comment.

Best of success, :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
03 Mar 2010 07:00 #350994 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Billet cam tensioner roller - Necessary?
Yeah my OEM one is in great shape. It's not a sprocket though, just a rubber roller with a raised center that rides in the chain.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
03 Mar 2010 07:06 #350995 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Billet cam tensioner roller - Necessary?
From your description... sounds like a keeper to me.

Best of success, :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
03 Mar 2010 07:06 #350996 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Billet cam tensioner roller - Necessary?
T_Dub wrote:

Hey guys, I just wanted to run something past you all. I've been debating the need of putting a liska cam chain tensioner roller in my engine. They're pretty costly, but if they're the best option by a long shot I'll probably put one in. So, opinions?

Heres a link to the think on Z1E, just in case I wasn't clear on the part I'm talking about.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3991

I've put all the liska parts in my machine. I had it apart anyway and the oem stuff was a little chewed up, so I went for it. The cam chain noise isn't much louder if any. But the top idler wheel is taller than oem so you can't slide the valve cover out sideways. It has to slide down the back of the block - after the carbs are off! A nuisance to be sure when it comes time to shim the valves!

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
03 Mar 2010 08:05 #351000 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Billet cam tensioner roller - Necessary?
liska parts are much better quality the origanal and actually cheaper then o.e but the really nice thing about them is that they wont harden and break up like the stockers do. so you wont get floaties cruising around your oil system. as far as the noise goes most of you guy's are using aftermarket pipes anyway so whats the big issue with a bit more noise.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
03 Mar 2010 08:26 #351002 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Billet cam tensioner roller - Necessary?
Samwell wrote:

T_Dub wrote:

I've put all the liska parts in my machine. I had it apart anyway and the oem stuff was a little chewed up, so I went for it. The cam chain noise isn't much louder if any. But the top idler wheel is taller than oem so you can't slide the valve cover out sideways. It has to slide down the back of the block - after the carbs are off! A nuisance to be sure when it comes time to shim the valves!

I did not even know that Liska made an Idler tower for the KZ650. I have not been able to find one.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
03 Mar 2010 09:45 #351009 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Billet cam tensioner roller - Necessary?
We have them. Not on the website yet.

Jay

More
03 Mar 2010 14:08 #351058 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Billet cam tensioner roller - Necessary?
I just replaced all mine with liska. Not cheap but billet. My stuff was worn so bad there was play in it. I would say if you are doing bigger cams it might just be a safe bet to use them as there is much more tension placed on the timing chain and its components. If not then stick with OEM.
Think about precision. I would imagine that when you rap the throttle that the timing will stay accurate as opposed to parts that give and take, especially if worn.
I will let you know later when I get it back together how it sounds and runs. I am pretty sure that it will function much better than the OEM did for my application. Every time you get in to it you open a can of worms. Improve this then you have to reinforce that and this that and the other thing and oh by the way this should be done too.
Stock may not be such a bad idea if you want to get some real miles out of your bike without too much trouble. Well, I don't know anything much except that when you open that can be ready for what happens next. You could have a stock bike and buy a new stock bike that really is fast and reliable in comparison to a built engine that overheats and is maintenance intensive. I would go back and leave it stock with maybe a little hotter cam, good carbs, pods and exhaust and call it a day. After all is said and done my bike with all the engine work will make me happy but still will be slower than a 600, or 750 from today. The amount of money I have in the engine I could have easily aquired a zx14 that would absolutely smoke the kz as if it were a little 250.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200