clutch adjustment shaft drive

More
24 Feb 2010 07:29 #349919 by morhaven
clutch adjustment shaft drive was created by morhaven
hi guys, I am trying to do the clutch adjustment on my 84 zn1100 shaft.

As per Repair manual I must turn the clucth adjuster till it gets hard to turn { clockwise for shaft) then tighten the nut.

The " Until it gets hard to turn" part seems to be when its all the way in and wont turn at all. Is this normal?

also the bike wheels are off the ground so when I test it the wheel don't stop turning when clutch is pressed or don't go foward when released..

its seems like i am doing this wrong..any tips would be great..

FYI, the clutch cable is brand new.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2010 06:15 #350700 by morhaven
Replied by morhaven on topic clutch adjustment shaft drive
any assistance would be greatly appreciated

More
01 Mar 2010 07:33 #350708 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic clutch adjustment shaft drive
send a pm to kawsakiman,i think his shafty is an 83-84

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
01 Mar 2010 09:00 - 01 Mar 2010 09:06 #350718 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic clutch adjustment shaft drive
morhaven wrote:

hi guys, I am trying to do the clutch adjustment on my 84 zn1100 shaft.

As per Repair manual I must turn the clucth adjuster till it gets hard to turn { clockwise for shaft) then tighten the nut.

The " Until it gets hard to turn" part seems to be when its all the way in and wont turn at all. Is this normal?

also the bike wheels are off the ground so when I test it the wheel don't stop turning when clutch is pressed or don't go foward when released..

its seems like i am doing this wrong..any tips would be great..

FYI, the clutch cable is brand new.

Presuming reference is to the adjustment screw (and its associated locknut) whereby the required gap is being fixed between end of the screw and beginning of the clutch push rod. This being performed under a cover plate on the engine sprocket cover.

Would first assure some slack or "play" exists in the clutch cable itself by adjusting the cable over-loose at the handlebar clutch lever end, (and also at the mid-way cable slack adjuster near the exhaust header.) This is to provide adequate cable slop where the cable enters the sprocket cover.

Now, back to the adjustment screw (and its associated locknut) whereby the required gap is being fixed between end of the screw and beginning of the clutch push rod (under a cover plate on the engine sprocket cover).

After screwing the adjustment screw in until lightly seated, would then turn it out 1/4~1/2 turn (thereby furnishing the necessary gap), and tighten the locknut. Just snug. Not Godzilla tight.

Lastly, adjust clutch cable slack at the handlebar and mid-way adjuster, until the clutch lever may be slightly pulled in (when squeezed) before disengaging the clutch.

Meanwhile, if kawsakiman says differently, go by what he says. ;)

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 01 Mar 2010 09:06 by Patton.

More
03 Mar 2010 07:23 #350997 by morhaven
Replied by morhaven on topic clutch adjustment shaft drive
Patton, tahnsk for the tips. It worked fine now..:)

The key word was lightly seated..