"Ringing" Sound at High RPM ???

• WABBMW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
22 Feb 2010 09:02 - 23 Feb 2010 17:00 #349631 by WABBMW
"Ringing" Sound at High RPM ??? was created by WABBMW
My '82 KZ650 CSR engine is quiet at idle and under all normal useage. But when I let her rip, such as around 8,000 to 9,000 RPM - Occasionally - I hear this ringing sound for a brief moment. The frequency is quite high - much more than the engine RPM. I first noticed this between shifts, but have also heard it when in gear, usually in the lower gears.

I have the original cam chain tensioner, and believe it is an automatic type, but I am not sure. I took the unit off some time ago and found it to have two pins that have diagonal cut ends that slide together, plus a spring. I cleaned and lubricated everything, since the parts seemed a little stuck together after 26 years. My theory is, that at high RPM, the tensioner cannot offer enough pressure to hold the chain tight, and the chain touches something inside the engine housing and makes the noise. I have not dismantled anything yet.

Has anyone experienced a sound like this? Do you think I am on the right track about the cam chain and tensioner? If so, what remedy do you recommend? Thanks.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)
Last edit: 23 Feb 2010 17:00 by WABBMW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
22 Feb 2010 15:23 #349668 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic "Ringing" Sound at High RPM ???
I dont know if this will help but my bike has a similar high pitch sound that I tracked it down to be my front brake lever vibrating. At the high rpms if i put my pinkie finger on the lever it stops. I hope this is your case and not motor problems.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• WABBMW
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2010 16:59 #349842 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic "Ringing" Sound at High RPM ???
I wish it were something simple like this, but it is definitely coming from the engine. Sounds like someone touched a spinning skill saw blade with a metal tool like a screw driver.

I have chosen to avoid high revs for a while. Kinda like the guy who goes to a doctor and tells him that it hurts when he bends his arm a certain way. He asks the doctor what can be done to keep it from hurting, and the doctor tells him to not bend it that way.

Any ideas???

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1

More
23 Feb 2010 17:49 #349853 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic "Ringing" Sound at High RPM ???
WABBMW wrote:

I wish it were something simple like this, but it is definitely coming from the engine. Sounds like someone touched a spinning skill saw blade with a metal tool like a screw driver.

I have chosen to avoid high revs for a while. Kinda like the guy who goes to a doctor and tells him that it hurts when he bends his arm a certain way. He asks the doctor what can be done to keep it from hurting, and the doctor tells him to not bend it that way.

Any ideas???

Bill,
in my humble opinion it sounds like a cam chain noise from what you have described...i am not a pro by any means, but thats what it sounds like....the first thing i would do is replace that auto tensioner with an APE manual one if they have an application for your bike...
i would also pull the valve cover and inspect underneath
and look for scuffage to verify ...a good look around with the valve cover off would nt hurt either....good luck and i hope you find the problem.......keith

More
23 Feb 2010 18:27 #349860 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic "Ringing" Sound at High RPM ???
keith1 wrote:

WABBMW wrote:

Any ideas???

Bill,
in my humble opinion it sounds like a cam chain noise from what you have described...i am not a pro by any means, but thats what it sounds like....the first thing i would do is replace that auto tensioner with an APE manual one if they have an application for your bike...
i would also pull the valve cover and inspect underneath
and look for scuffage to verify ...a good look around with the valve cover off would nt hurt either....good luck and i hope you find the problem.......keith

+1 I concur.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
24 Feb 2010 04:44 #349900 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic "Ringing" Sound at High RPM ???
You sure it's not the top timing chain idler gear whizzing?

Oil pressure good?

Example in my build, I have all new Liska timing components. I just recently switched over to synthetic oil and all is smooth at low RPM's...

While on the first ride at 6500 or so, I can hear this high pitch whizzzing sound. Mind you, this is loud enough to hear over my Kerker! :blink: So of course I pull over, listen, twist the throttle nada... On the road again, higher rpm & it's back... Hmmm.... :huh:

Get home, get out the stethoscope, start her up and rev till 5-6Krpm, and followed the sound to the top idler...

Now I had just been in the head within a couple weeks for my valve clearances and it didn't make that sound with Dyno oil... Conclusion was that the synthetic is such a smooth/lick lubricant the top idler was just a spinning and singing away being properly lubed up.... :woohoo: The oil was flowing more freely.

Get yourself a stethoscope and track it down...

If your truly worried about it, as Keith mentioned, just to be sure, open up the top (valve cover) to insure no metal shavings and such in the head/camshaft galley.

While you in there, check your shim clearances. ;)

Good luck in tracking it down...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• WABBMW
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Jul 2010 11:30 #381071 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic "Ringing" Sound at High RPM ???
As a follow-up regarding the high RPM "ringing" sound, my problem has been solved !!!

keith1 and Otakar were correct. I replaced the automatic cam chain tensioner with a manual one. I believe that at high RPM, the centrifugal force of the chain slinging outward - would overpower the spring in the automatic tensioner and allow slack to form.

I looked from both top and bottom of the engine and could not see anywhere that looked scuffed by the chain. Anyway, all is quiet now.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1

More
08 Jul 2010 11:49 #381077 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic "Ringing" Sound at High RPM ???
WABBMW wrote:

As a follow-up regarding the high RPM "ringing" sound, my problem has been solved !!!

keith1 and Otakar were correct. I replaced the automatic cam chain tensioner with a manual one. I believe that at high RPM, the centrifugal force of the chain slinging outward - would overpower the spring in the automatic tensioner and allow slack to form.

I looked from both top and bottom of the engine and could not see anywhere that looked scuffed by the chain. Anyway, all is quiet now.

Quiet is not good. Quiet means that it is not running. ;) Fire the bad boy up and make some noise. :woohoo:

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
08 Jul 2010 11:56 #381082 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic "Ringing" Sound at High RPM ???
WABBMW wrote:

Sweet!!!