Reusing Rings

More
22 Feb 2010 07:21 #349613 by JakeB
Reusing Rings was created by JakeB
Is it ok to remove the rings from the pistons to clean the ring grooves then reinstall the same rings?

Or does the risk of snapping a ring make cleaning with rings on a better idea?

I haven't pulled the cylinders off yet so this is all just planning right now. If it needs it will get new rings and honed of course, but I would like to avoid the need to break the motor in. My leak-down was between 1-3% on all cylinders, so I'm not expecting it to need anything but a good cleaning.

I hope I don't sound too ignorant! :blush:

Thanks

1978 Z1-R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2010 09:11 #349633 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Reusing Rings
I would not reuse the same rings ? If you are going to go that far I'd go that extra step,,Used rings tend to bend. If you'er looking to clean maybe running some Ring Free through it ??:)

More
22 Feb 2010 14:28 #349662 by wrangler615
Replied by wrangler615 on topic Reusing Rings
I reused the rings on my 750F1, but it was a very on the cheap build. I was just very careful in removing/installing them. Cleaned all the grooves and all is well. Engine still has good squeeze and minimal leakdown. Mostly I just was fixing a base gasket leak, but noticed the oil rings were pretty much stuck in the groove. All seems to have worked out well. Now if I could just get my carb issue resolved...

83 Kaw KZ750F1 - massive money pit
82 Zuki GS1100G - my daily driver, possible sacrilege I know

More
22 Feb 2010 16:27 #349679 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Reusing Rings
if the ring end gaps check out on my own stuff i will reuse rings for customers i always go with new. i was wondering why if you only had 3 or so percent leakdown why did you tear the motor down in the first place. one other thing unless the cylinders are really glazed don't hone them if your going to reuse the rings because you will have to break them in again.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
22 Feb 2010 18:49 #349711 by JakeB
Replied by JakeB on topic Reusing Rings
timebomb:

I'm tearing the top end apart because I need to replace the valve seals, and figured while I'm in there I would cleanup the carbon/oil buildup that resulted from the bad seals.

Also, I was not planning on honing if I reused the rings, only if I put new ones in. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I guess I will just have to decide what to do once I get in there. I will try to get them clean without removing the rings first and if I'm satisfied I'll just leave it at that. If not, I'll probably just break down and put new rings in.

I'm planning on pulling the head tomorrow, so we'll see then! :woohoo:

Thanks for all of your replies.

1978 Z1-R