Oh no! I can't believe I did this!

More
18 Feb 2010 00:38 - 18 Feb 2010 00:44 #348911 by polkat
Oh no! I can't believe I did this! was created by polkat
So, my first rebuild on my KZ750H3-four. Got it almost all the way back together, block on, head started. Then I reached into a box to get my cams and what did I pull out? The danged rear cam chain guide! So while feeling as stupid as is possible, I spent the time to tear it all down again, put in the giude, and went to put the block down over the pistons again. Wait! Went smooth the first time, but this time somethings hung up??

Whoops, a ring is partially out of the compressor on #3. So I yank the block off, and dang if the second compression ring on #3 is busted!!

I can't win for loosing on this bike! So, I ask, rather timidly, does anyone have a second compression ring (standard bore) laying around that looks reusable? I can't afford to buy another set just to get one. It would be appreciated and I'll pay.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2010 00:44 by polkat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
18 Feb 2010 09:48 #348997 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Oh no! I can't believe I did this!
Damn, sorry to hear that man.

You need to go slow dude.
Take your time, and follow the diagrams/instructions carefully. Next thing you know, you'll forget the block alignment collars, or the oil passage o-rings and have an exploding engine on your hands...

Oh well, #$%@ happens...
I wish I could help ya, but all my rings are in engines.

Good luck.

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
18 Feb 2010 13:52 #349034 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Oh no! I can't believe I did this!
well your in luck!

i just picked up a complete 750 motor for $50.
all i wanted was the lower half.
i had to order 2 more sets of rings for the big bore kit since believe it or not the fricking dog ate mine.
i ordered them last friday from mtc.
as soon as they get here i planned on pulling the upper end apart.
i have no idea what condition these rings will be in.
the compression numbers were #1 128 #2 85 #3 95 #4 130.
this motor was apart before. there is blue silicone around the base gasket and head gasket.
tell me the bore size of your pistons and i'll measure the ones i have when the new rings get here.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
18 Feb 2010 14:58 - 18 Feb 2010 21:42 #349045 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Oh no! I can't believe I did this!
kawasakiman, the pistons are stock (standard size). The book says that the bore is 66mm and the minimun piston size is 65.80mm. I'm getting around 65.9mm on all of them.

When I measured the clearance between the pistons and bores, I got a reading within tolerances, so I doubt there is much wear.

Let me know what you have and how much (sorry, I don't have much) and I'll PM you back.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2010 21:42 by polkat.