transmission

More
15 Feb 2010 17:38 #348521 by mastermudd
transmission was created by mastermudd
i just recently bought an 82 kz1100 spectra. i haven't even had a chance to ride it yet due to weather. when i checked it out before buying it it was up on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground. i was able to shift thru 1st 2nd and 3rd gears, but when i was running it out in my shop earlier it with the rear wheel on the ground it wouldn't let me shift past neutral. it will go into first fine. is there some sort of feature i'm not aware of that will prevent the bike from shifting thru the gears sitting still or am i in trouble here
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2010 17:48 #348523 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic transmission
The transmission has a neutral finder that'll stop it shifting into 2nd until the transmission is spinning fast enough.

Basically, don't worry about it...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
15 Feb 2010 17:50 #348524 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic transmission
Yes, it's called a neutral finder. It is designed to prevent shifting past neutral unless the bike is moving.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
15 Feb 2010 18:00 #348526 by mastermudd
Replied by mastermudd on topic transmission
whew!! thx i had a kz650 a few yrs ago and it was a very fun bike to ride, and i'm figuring that this one will top the cake. but i'm not familiar with it at all. not having actually taken it for a ride, i'm skiddish about these things. come on riding weather

More
15 Feb 2010 18:02 #348528 by mastermudd
thx. i've just never encountered such a thing. i haven't been riding long, just about 4 yrs and my first two bikes were a 78 kz650 and a 78 cb750k.

More
15 Feb 2010 19:07 #348545 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic transmission
This question comes up about once a month, so you can relax. Not that it matters, but if the motorcycle in your picture there is the one you are talking of, it's not a spectra.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
16 Feb 2010 02:19 #348584 by mastermudd
i keep calling it that because it's the only model that matches the bike when i'm looking up info. the title only says k11 on it so i'm not really sure what it is. would be nice to know what to call it tho. I JUST WANT TO RIDE IT! scuse me. come on riding weather.

More
16 Feb 2010 07:02 #348603 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic transmission
mastermudd wrote:

i keep calling it that because it's the only model that matches the bike when i'm looking up info. the title only says k11 on it so i'm not really sure what it is. would be nice to know what to call it tho. I JUST WANT TO RIDE IT! scuse me. come on riding weather.

Perhaps a 1982 KZ1100-A2 (shaft).

Handsome bike! :cheer:

Good Luck!:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD