Homemade gaskets?

More
10 Feb 2010 12:43 #347584 by polkat
Homemade gaskets? was created by polkat
I have some nice gasket material sheets (an Amgauge product) and I'm thinking of making my own valve cover and base gaskets for my 750-4. Has anyone here ever done this, and what temps does the base gasket (between the case and block) run at? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2010 12:49 - 10 Feb 2010 12:51 #347585 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Homemade gaskets?
I made a base gasket after the new Athena base gasket failed and I had to tear the engine down again after I just rebuilt it. I used the stuff from Auto Zone which is vulcanized paper .032" thick, I think it said "8904" on the back. I looked it up and I think it was good for temps up to about 350 degrees. It has worked really well for the base and cover. I would think that the base could get up to temps of 275 or higher worst case. Be careful on base gasket material becaus it takes the full force of the head bolts torque (about 30 ft-lbs) so the material has to be crush resistant to that pressure.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Feb 2010 12:51 by bountyhunter.

More
10 Feb 2010 20:29 - 10 Feb 2010 20:33 #347668 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Homemade gaskets?
Well, this is just the dark grey non-abestos non-vulcanized gasket paper, and I don't know if it is crush-proof, so I'll look for the stuff you mentioned.

How did you go about laying out the pattern on the paper? Since the bores extend a bit past the bottom of the head, it seems like it would be a little difficult to trace around the bottom of the head? Or did you trace out the top of the case?
Last edit: 10 Feb 2010 20:33 by polkat.

More
10 Feb 2010 21:21 - 10 Feb 2010 21:26 #347675 by bountyhunter
polkat wrote:

Well, this is just the dark grey non-abestos non-vulcanized gasket paper, and I don't know if it is crush-proof, so I'll look for the stuff you mentioned.

How did you go about laying out the pattern on the paper? Since the bores extend a bit past the bottom of the head, it seems like it would be a little difficult to trace around the bottom of the head? Or did you trace out the top of the case?

I was lucky and had a very old spare base gasket to use for tracing. I think it would be a bugger to try to trace it from the parts. Some of the guys here used to have photo copies of some of the gaskets for the twins.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Feb 2010 21:26 by bountyhunter.

More
11 Feb 2010 01:25 #347689 by Visayanrider
Replied by Visayanrider on topic Homemade gaskets?
The easiest way to make home-made gaskets is to put the gasket material on the surface (making sure it won't move) and using the round head of a small ball pean hammer, gently tap around the metal edge. This will either cut the gasket or give you a real line to cut to with scissors or a razor knife. This is an old method but works great, believe me!

More
11 Feb 2010 01:50 #347690 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Homemade gaskets?
Regarding base and head gaskets... no way on the home made for too much to go wrong. Not sure how one could make a head gasket due to compression rings around cylinder bores. Not that you stated that mind you...

Base gasket example: Compresses too much and this decreases your piston to chamber clearance... Piston hits valve and you have FUBAR! Or if it leaks have to take head and cylinder off again... Naw, why go there...

Head gaskets alone are $50 and with the metal compression rings, pretty much a one time install.... I know I know, others will chime in you can re-use them...

Now for valve cover or other engine gaskets, other than possible leaks, oil all over the engine and oil pressure loss your call...

I'll just pay the $10-$20 for a gasket and be done with it....

Just my worthless 2 cents.... Besides, 3 am in the morning and I have nothing better to do.... :blush: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
11 Feb 2010 04:57 #347693 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Homemade gaskets?
Visayanrider wrote:

The easiest way to make home-made gaskets is to put the gasket material on the surface (making sure it won't move) and using the round head of a small ball pean hammer, gently tap around the metal edge. This will either cut the gasket or give you a real line to cut to with scissors or a razor knife. This is an old method but works great, believe me!

This method when perfected will make a perfect gasket. An old drag racer showed me this one time when he witnessed the way I was doing it. I was totally impressed at how perfect it came out. The hardest part on a large gasket was keeping it from moving. The round ball on the handle of a craftsman screwdriver works perfect and will not damage the metal edges. Give it a try on a small gasket so you can figure out how to do it.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
11 Feb 2010 14:56 #347753 by polkat
I had thought about the compression when considering making the base gasket. Then I looked at a piece of the original, and it appears to be just thin paper. I suspect that a replacement made from similar material should work okay?

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
11 Feb 2010 15:28 - 11 Feb 2010 15:29 #347756 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Homemade gaskets?
A replacement just made from "some" similar material...

NO.

Proper OEM, NOS, or quality aftermarket Head Gasket.

Yamabond #4 for Base Gasket. Yamaha PN# ACCYAMABND04

Permatex #2 Gas/oil resistant RTV for everything else.

Good luck

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 11 Feb 2010 15:29 by TeK9iNe.

More
11 Feb 2010 16:34 - 11 Feb 2010 16:36 #347774 by bountyhunter
The stuff I found at Auto Zone labeled N8094 has this spec:

www.sealinfo.com/index.cfm?objectid=E646...8AD-C5975764F17117D5

N-8094 is a low density material that conforms well to irregular flange surfaces and has very good crush resistance at high flange pressures. It is intended for sealing oils, fuels, and water in applications with short duration maximum temperatures up to 180oC (350oF).

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 11 Feb 2010 16:36 by bountyhunter.

More
11 Feb 2010 17:04 #347779 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Homemade gaskets?
Kawickrice wrote:

Visayanrider wrote:

This method when perfected will make a perfect gasket. An old drag racer showed me this one time when he witnessed the way I was doing it. I was totally impressed at how perfect it came out. The hardest part on a large gasket was keeping it from moving. The round ball on the handle of a craftsman screwdriver works perfect and will not damage the metal edges. Give it a try on a small gasket so you can figure out how to do it.

old school, but it definitely works.....i saw it done 25 years ago......

More
11 Feb 2010 18:28 #347796 by polkat
Well, this is the base gasket we are talking about. It seals between the bottom of the block, where the cylinder sleeves are sticking out about 1-1/2", and the top of the case, where the long head bolts are sticking out. So tracing it from the parts is pretty much impossible!

What I thought of doing was to trace out the bottom of the sleeves first, cut them out, stick on the gasket material over the sleeves, and then trace out the rest from that. Anyone see a problem?

The N8094 material suggested looks fine.