Homemade gaskets?

More
14 Feb 2010 11:34 #348251 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Homemade gaskets?
I got to thinking about the possible problems with compression (torque) against the gasket if a homemade one was used.

I think it partially involves the original thickness of the gasket and how much the torque will compress it, particularly if a pre-compressed material is used. The head nuts on the 750 are only torqued to 29ftlbs after all, and I've seen water pumps on older cars with bolts torqued to more then that, using simple paper fiber gaskets without problems.

I've been told that the base gasket is originally about .6mm, and if a pre-compressed fiber material is used at about that thickness, I don't see a problem? Arguements?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2010 23:13 #348392 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Homemade gaskets?
Regardless of gasket used, I think you need to re torque the head after the first full heat up/cool down cycle. I keep reading about head gaskets that don't need it but I don't believe it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Feb 2010 23:17 #348395 by bountyhunter
polkat wrote:

I've been told that the base gasket is originally about .6mm,

I dimly recall the gaskets in my Athena set were in that ballpark which I measured at around .026". The N8904 stuff was a shade thicker at about .031". I figured the compressed final thickness difference is proabably a few thousadths which is negligible.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Feb 2010 08:28 #348444 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Homemade gaskets?
The base gasket wouldn't typically be 30 thou thick. The OEM thickness is much closer to 20 thou. Most gasket manufacturers produce material in great number of thicknesses. Interface Solutions (one of the more reputable brands) has a variety of thicknesses going from 15 thou up by roughly 5 thou increments to 60 thou or thicker.

If you use a thicker material than stock, you will lose a small amount of compression. For every 5 thou, you lose roughly .1 compression.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
15 Feb 2010 12:36 #348467 by polkat
I measured a piece of the old gasket to see what compression had done to it, and it measured out at exactly .020" I'm guessing that a new piece of pre-compressed gasket material that is at that thickness, or perhaps a few thousandths thicker should work. With todays gas I'm not too concerned with a loss of a few tenths of compression.

I'm also wondering about making a head gasket from copper. Would there be a negative side to that?

More
15 Feb 2010 12:50 #348469 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Homemade gaskets?
I might get yelled at, but I'm going to ask a question.

For the amount of times you change these types of gaskets, why not just buy some? They're not exactly expensive.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
15 Feb 2010 16:56 #348509 by bountyhunter
T_Dub wrote:

I might get yelled at, but I'm going to ask a question.

For the amount of times you change these types of gaskets, why not just buy some? They're not exactly expensive.

The reason I made one after the new one I put in during the rebuild failed was because I didn't want to wait two weeks to order another one from kawi. The only other problem with ordering one from kawi is you don't know how old it is. It may be new in the package, but it could have been on a shelf quite a while.... after all, these bikes are 30 years old.:ohmy:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Feb 2010 19:22 #348548 by polkat
I second what bountyhunter said, (and it turns out that I had some M8094 laying around). Therefore, why pay for something I can make for free?

More
15 Feb 2010 19:49 #348554 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Homemade gaskets?
Unless it's an emergency, why bother going to all that trouble when real gaskets are cheap and fit perfectly?

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
15 Feb 2010 21:14 - 15 Feb 2010 21:19 #348569 by bountyhunter
TerryK wrote:

Unless it's an emergency, why bother going to all that trouble when real gaskets are cheap and fit perfectly?

My answer was this: I bought a "new" gasket rebuild kit to do the rebuild and the base gasket failed almost immediately (withing the firrst two hours running time). It hardened, cracked and disintegrated requiring me to tear the whole engine down to the rods again and I was really mad. At that point, I didn't trust "new old stock" gaskets since I could not tell their age or quality by looking. So, I bought new (very strong) gasket material and cut my own for the base gasket. The whole engine top end gets built up on that gasket, and I wasn't going to risk another one failing again.

For the record, it was an Athena gasket set that failed and the gasket material looked fine to me (not dried or old) but the base gasket failed instantly. A Kawi gasket might be OK, but how do you know how old it is?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 15 Feb 2010 21:19 by bountyhunter.