Points and Timing Adjustment

More
09 Feb 2010 15:17 #347443 by chanman17
Points and Timing Adjustment was created by chanman17
I'm trying to adjust the points gap and timing on my '80 KZ650 E1.

As I understand it's a 2 step process. 1) Set the gap on each set of points. 2) Set the timing.

1) This is how I'm setting the gap:

1a) Align the "F" mark for 2&3 with the Timing mark. At this point the 1&4 points should be at their widest opening. Set the 1&4 gap to .014.

1b) Align the "F" mark for 1&4 with the Timing mark. At this point the 2&3 points should be at their widest opening. Set the 2&3 gap to .014.

Is that correct to set the gap?

2) I've tried setting the timing according to the book but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. It say adjust the plate until the timing light comes on. Where EXACTLY do you connect the hot to the points? Does anyone know of a detailed step-by-step guide for this? I'm so close to starting my bike and I think this is the hangup.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2010 19:44 - 09 Feb 2010 19:45 #347500 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Points and Timing Adjustment
chanman17 wrote:

I'm trying to adjust the points gap and timing on my '80 KZ650 E1.

As I understand it's a 2 step process. 1) Set the gap on each set of points. 2) Set the timing.

1) This is how I'm setting the gap:

1a) Align the "F" mark for 2&3 with the Timing mark. At this point the 1&4 points should be at their widest opening. Set the 1&4 gap to .014.

1b) Align the "F" mark for 1&4 with the Timing mark. At this point the 2&3 points should be at their widest opening. Set the 2&3 gap to .014.

Is that correct to set the gap?

2) I've tried setting the timing according to the book but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. It say adjust the plate until the timing light comes on. Where EXACTLY do you connect the hot to the points? Does anyone know of a detailed step-by-step guide for this? I'm so close to starting my bike and I think this is the hangup.

Thanks.

Set gap without reference to any marks.

Then set timing.
Use timing light to align F marks with case mark at idle rpm.

Ignore T mark which isn't used for ignition timing.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Feb 2010 19:45 by Patton.

More
09 Feb 2010 20:15 #347503 by Galactica
Replied by Galactica on topic Points and Timing Adjustment
If you don't have a timing light, use a continuity light.

Attach one lead with an alligator clip to the spring of the points and the other to ground on the frame.

Remove the spark plugs so the motor is easier to turn by hand.

Turn the motor with the kick start or with a socket on the nut on the end of the crank.

Adjust the timing plate so the light comes on exactly as the F mark lines up with the timing mark when you turn the engine.

This will get you pretty close. Check with a timing light when you get one.

Sometimes it takes some fiddling around to get the points gap set and still have adequate adjustment on the timing plate.

Good luck.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

More
10 Feb 2010 20:16 #347666 by chanman17
Replied by chanman17 on topic Points and Timing Adjustment
Galactica wrote:

If you don't have a timing light, use a continuity light.

Attach one lead with an alligator clip to the spring of the points and the other to ground on the frame.

Remove the spark plugs so the motor is easier to turn by hand.

Turn the motor with the kick start or with a socket on the nut on the end of the crank.

Adjust the timing plate so the light comes on exactly as the F mark lines up with the timing mark when you turn the engine.

This will get you pretty close. Check with a timing light when you get one.

Sometimes it takes some fiddling around to get the points gap set and still have adequate adjustment on the timing plate.

Good luck.

The timing light lights up when the F mark is not even close to the timing mark. What do I do in that case?

The book says adjust the gap when the points are at their widest opening. How do you know when their at their widest opening? I've rebuilt this thing from scratch and this is probably the most frustrating part!! :S

More
10 Feb 2010 22:26 #347682 by Galactica
Replied by Galactica on topic Points and Timing Adjustment
I've only done this a few times, and it does get frustrating. If there is not enough room on the timing adjustment, you will need to move the points plates a little bit and reset the gaps. Then see if there is enough adjustment on the timing plate. Keep at it, you'll get it eventually.

Good luck.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900