Mixed up lifter....what could go wrong?

More
08 Feb 2010 12:43 #347258 by KENN317
Hey all,

I have a 77 kz 1000 with 4 into 1 unknown exhaust, k&n pods, dyna s with 3ohm green coils. I had a head gasket leak and after taking the head off decided to clean everything up. So... I clean off the old gasket, flipped the head over and cleaned the inside. When I flipped the head back over, five of the lifters fell out. I cleaned them up, put fresh oil on them and just put them in anywhere. I went to bed started reading the manual and what do you know....."Caution: Do not mix up lifter, put them in a egg carton and label to ensure they don't get mixed up" What should I look out for? How do I fix it?:S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2010 14:25 #347273 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Mixed up lifter....what could go wrong?
KENN317 wrote:

Hey all,

I have a 77 kz 1000 with 4 into 1 unknown exhaust, k&n pods, dyna s with 3ohm green coils. I had a head gasket leak and after taking the head off decided to clean everything up. So... I clean off the old gasket, flipped the head over and cleaned the inside. When I flipped the head back over, five of the lifters fell out. I cleaned them up, put fresh oil on them and just put them in anywhere. I went to bed started reading the manual and what do you know....."Caution: Do not mix up lifter, put them in a egg carton and label to ensure they don't get mixed up" What should I look out for? How do I fix it?:S

After reinstalling the head and camshafts, would perform routine valve clearance checks and replace shims as needed.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Feb 2010 17:22 #347302 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Mixed up lifter....what could go wrong?
well youve got 2 options you can pull out the other 3 and mix them all uniformly,or you can just save yourself the trouble and sell the bike to me cheap sinse your lifters are now mixed up! :S ok i guess you could just check your valve clearances also! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Feb 2010 23:08 #347357 by KENN317
Replied by KENN317 on topic Mixed up lifter....what could go wrong?
Cool......I thought so! Just wanted to make sure!:)

More
09 Feb 2010 04:46 #347366 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Mixed up lifter....what could go wrong?
Plummen you evil bastard! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As mentioned, your just going to have to re-shim for spec clearances, should be alright.... As Tim mentioned & re- check the clearances it after a couple hundred miles or so...

Or... Screw Plummen, sell me the bike!

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az