Mr. Turbo versus KZone??

More
29 Jan 2010 08:57 #345236 by Heavy- Z
Mr. Turbo versus KZone?? was created by Heavy- Z
Obviously both a lot of $$$ for upgrade but was wondering what gives you the best bang for the buck. I see you can get a nice street rod 1300cc upgrade from kzone for just around $2k and mr turbo kit is over $3k for same bike. What has more HP and what is more effective.
Any knowledge on the subject would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2010 18:12 #345317 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Mr. Turbo versus KZone??
tttttttttttttturbo! B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
29 Jan 2010 21:20 #345326 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic Mr. Turbo versus KZone??
I cant speak from experience, but if i were you i would plan on spending alot more than 3k if you go turbo. If i were going to buy the mr. turbo kit i would still be visiting ape and building a motor that could hold up to the turbo. Such as welded crank, low comp. forged pistons, etc. just a thought

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

More
30 Jan 2010 05:45 #345338 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Mr. Turbo versus KZone??
Where do you live?
What is your budget?
How would you use the bike?
Are you going to race it?
Do you want to be paying for race fuel everytime you take the bike out?

The nice thing about a turbo setup is you can adjust the boost - run 6-8 pounds of boost on street fuel, and then take it to the track and run 115 octane and 20+ pounds of boost.

Heat is the enemy of performance engines - you wouldn't want to be running either big-block motor or a turbo setup in very hot areas.

If you want a super fast motor, you need to spend a lot more than is first obvious... $4k for a turbo kit, add $3k more for all the other stuff (pistons, crank weldng, head work, etc)...

$2k of parts from Jay is the tip of the iceberg too...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
30 Jan 2010 05:55 #345341 by PLUMMEN
even a small 903-1015 motor with a basic rebuild and a welded crank would flat out fly with a turbo on it,check dragbike.com i think youll find a used turbo system in good shape for a lot less than a new one.dont forget good tires/brakes and chassis work to put it to ground safely,horsepower is just smoke if it donthook up and go straight B)

More
30 Jan 2010 06:50 #345354 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Mr. Turbo versus KZone??
For sure what these guys said and times ten. Don't forget if you put huge cams you will wear out the timing chain and rollers and then you will have to tear down the bike and split the cases anyway. So you will get the HD studs and nuts, need to put a heavy duty timing chain, chain rollers, valve springs, guides,lots of headwork, bigger stainless valves or why would you waste all of that displacement. The cranks are strong and the gears are really strong but if you go that big you will need to have the crank done and to realize the most bang for the buck you will spend as much on having falicon do the treatment on it as the kit. Don't do it half fast. If you do you will be in for an even bigger nightmare and will sell the bike to the first person that walks by for the going scrap rate.
I had to spend quite a bit more in parts than that. You will need to take that head and send it to someone who knows their stuff well who can port it for the kit you are using. You for sure will need a nice oil cooler.
If you still have the original ball bearing steering bearings you are looking for trouble and let's not forget with all that power to the rear you will need a nicely built swing-arm either way you go turbo or NA. The stock one aint gonna cut it especially with those old bearings in there.
Did I mention carburators? Stock carbs on that setup will not work. You will have to buy some new carbs like the beautiful flat-slide 34's that will cost a penny or two. And then pods.
If you go that big you will have the big block set-up which will breath much less when it comes to heating up. My 1075 got extra hot yours will melt your pistons if you ride it on the street stoplight to stoplight.
If I had it to do again most certainly I would try the turbo route like Jeff said you can vary the boost majorly. But if I seriously had it to do all over again I would have restored the bike to immaculate condition doing all of the chassis work first like I am doing now and would have taken the head and the crank and possibly even the gears if they weren't in the best shape and sent them out to have the boys work them over, put all the heavy duty chain and roller parts in replace all the stuff and build the bottom end like a bullet, get some really nice carbs, pipe and baffle along with dyna ignition and put it together after I had done the chassis up really nice and THEN see how you like it.

Hell, my bike in stock form with my setup of dyna, 29 smooth bores, v&H with comp baffle and very finely tuned ran like stink. In fact, I raced one of the guys on here with a big bore kit and we were head and head up. So that says a few things...the head will only flow so much if you don't work it over and put oversized valves and spend a bit of money. You are not going to be able to do that work yourself.
ONLY reason why I took her down was because it had a blown head gasket from the PO that just progressively got worse and the bike still ran strong! While it was apart I thought what the heck let's do the 1075 everyone raves about being the perfect combo for the street and I personally think in retrospect that I would have been happier leaving it stock and just buying a zx-14 for my need for speed and gotten off much cheaper and happier in the long run.

If you like worry free riding and do a lot of riding keep your old girl stock and buy the zx-14. I see new ones for sale advertised at 8k 08. At most 95 otd tax title and plates. I see you spending on an oil cooler, swing arm, parts close or more than half of that plus if you put it together you may make mistakes or if you pay someone to do it you will be more than a new bike.
What have I decided to do? Finish my bike to show finish and do my 79 stock with headwork and crankwork, back-cut gears and stock other than that so I can ride it! Or get the zx-14 use the Z for my weekend fun longer no stopping ride and hit the zx-14 around town and anywhere else she wants to go. Today if I get the price that is stupid cheap because they need to get rid of their old stuff I will for sure consider buying one. Although, I am trying to be strong and sensible. Why would a guy need three bikes if he can only ride one at a time. But a 14 for basement bargain prices who can resist plus you get six months interest free so if you have a wad saved to fix up your bike then you could drop it on the down payment and have the bike finished being paid off before six months hits and you're golden.
Just don't think you can get away with building that bike up and riding it like a normal beautiful z. It ain't ever gonna happen no matter what anyone says and you are going to have to take it down to replace leaky head gaskets or other things that can and will go wrong. If you are that type of person I say GO for it but have a second stock z to tool around on reliably. I don't think you are though or you wouldn't be asking these questions. Just restore your bike chassis first and later make those decisions about building the stink out of the engine. :S Good luck and may the force be with you.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
30 Jan 2010 09:11 #345367 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Mr. Turbo versus KZone??
I had a bad nightmare last night. I dreamed I bought a turbo kit and was installing it. Woke up from that in a sweat. Not as bad as a repainting nightmare, but second worst. I'm not kidding, other night I dreamed I flipped the goldwing over backwards in a wheeley at 75mph. That was not nearly the nightmare of the paint or turbo saga.:laugh:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
30 Jan 2010 09:32 #345371 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Mr. Turbo versus KZone??
saxjonz will be takeing an extended brake from KZR untill the blisters on his finger tips heal .:lol: :lol:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
30 Jan 2010 15:14 #345425 by PLUMMEN
RonKZ650 wrote:

I had a bad nightmare last night. I dreamed I bought a turbo kit and was installing it. Woke up from that in a sweat. Not as bad as a repainting nightmare, but second worst. I'm not kidding, other night I dreamed I flipped the goldwing over backwards in a wheeley at 75mph. That was not nearly the nightmare of the paint or turbo saga.:laugh:

ok just dont have a nighmare about a repaint and turbo install on the same bike! :S the place wouldnt be the same without ya Ron! :woohoo:

More
30 Jan 2010 16:11 #345434 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Mr. Turbo versus KZone??
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

If you want a super fast motor, you need to spend a lot more than is first obvious... $4k for a turbo kit, add $3k more for all the other stuff (pistons, crank weldng, head work, etc)...

$2k of parts from Jay is the tip of the iceberg too...

amen brother!

either way this is going to cost you.
it's up to personal preference now.
decide which way you want to go and there are more that enough people here to help you along.

and for future reference, when you think you might be close, break out another $1,000

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
30 Jan 2010 18:20 #345467 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Mr. Turbo versus KZone??
i have often found when people are estimating costs on project they should automaticly take the number they came up with and then double it and add 50% that should get you in the ball park

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
30 Jan 2010 18:25 #345469 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Mr. Turbo versus KZone??
timebomb33 wrote:

i have often found when people are estimating costs on project they should automaticly take the number they came up with and then double it and add 50% that should get you in the ball park

amen brother!

either way this is going to cost you.
it's up to personal preference now.
decide which way you want to go and there are more that enough people here to help you along.

and for future reference, when you think you might be close, break out another $1,000

truer words were never spoken.......B)