Installing cylinder studs

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
28 Jan 2010 10:07 #345081 by hardr0ck68
Installing cylinder studs was created by hardr0ck68
My APE cylinder studs for my 650 will be delivered in the next week I immagin (ordered from Z1, and we all know how quick their service is!)

So I am now wondering what is the proper way to install them?

Just toss a nut on the top threads and tighten unto the torque spec is reached?

How do you insure all studs are level?

Should I run a tap down the case threads?

Should I use sealent or never seaze on the threads?

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2010 11:43 #345096 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Installing cylinder studs
ape sells a proper stud installer that works very well. but if you don't have one use two nuts and jam them together and tight down the stud using the top nut. ape studs come with instructions on torque specs follow them to the letter. also don't use a tap use a thread chaser instead. i don't use anything on except engine oil on the threads ape says to tourque the studs to 12- 15 lbsft max you will need to find a 10 by 1.5 mm thread chaser. the kit is a great addition to you engine that is for sure use them on all my hotrod bikes.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
28 Jan 2010 12:00 #345100 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Installing cylinder studs
Before removing any of the studs... Measure existing heigths off the deck and record accurately for when installing the new studs...

HF Tools also sells a stud remover but as TB mentioned, 2 nuts method worked just fine in my build...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jan 2010 14:49 #345112 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Installing cylinder studs
Old Man Rock wrote:

Before removing any of the studs... Measure existing heigths off the deck and record accurately for when installing the new studs...

HF Tools also sells a stud remover but as TB mentioned, 2 nuts method worked just fine in my build...

I picked up a stud puller from e-bay. I got a snap on one, had a mechanic friend kill it (not only can he fix stuff he can break it to if need be!) then the snap on guy gave me a new one.

Not the most honest thing but I got a $90.00 tool for $15 shipped

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jan 2010 15:55 #345118 by hardr0ck68
Thanks for the advice so far, I will look for that thread chase! Do I have to double nut it or could I just use one cylinder nut?

1977 kz650 c1

More
28 Jan 2010 15:56 #345119 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Installing cylinder studs
If you get a tap for the stud holes, make sure it's not a pointed type. You want a "bottoming tap", it's got a flat bottom so it won't go deeper than your holes in the case.

If you did use a tap with the point you might pierce the case where an oil gallery is and have endless problems.

Vacuum out any hole you "chase" with the new tap. A blast of air might work, but I like to vacuum tapped holes myself.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Jan 2010 16:18 #345121 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Installing cylinder studs
hardr0ck68 wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

I picked up a stud puller from e-bay. I got a snap on one, had a mechanic friend kill it (not only can he fix stuff he can break it to if need be!) then the snap on guy gave me a new one.

Not the most honest thing but I got a $90.00 tool for $15 shipped

snap on is snap on.....they price their stuff so high they can eat a couple.....

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jan 2010 17:41 #345154 by hardr0ck68
I know that the snap on man OWNS my buddies kidneys so I don't feel any remorse. I mean yes he is a mechanic so he uses the tools every day, but $1,000 for a torque wrench?!?!? $500 for a socket set?!?! It takes a lot of tire rotations to pay for that stuff!

On top of that my buddy looked at my stud puller and said "that's the cheap one" he explained to me he now has a set of 20 of little socket like things each meant for a specific size stud! I can only imagine how much that set cost him!

hurm;
So now I have one vote bottoming tap, one vote thread chase...

1977 kz650 c1

More
28 Jan 2010 17:50 #345157 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Installing cylinder studs
hell... Use a pipe wrench already....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
28 Jan 2010 17:56 #345158 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Installing cylinder studs
hardr0ck68 wrote:

I know that the snap on man OWNS my buddies kidneys so I don't feel any remorse. I mean yes he is a mechanic so he uses the tools every day, but $1,000 for a torque wrench?!?!? $500 for a socket set?!?! It takes a lot of tire rotations to pay for that stuff!

On top of that my buddy looked at my stud puller and said "that's the cheap one" he explained to me he now has a set of 20 of little socket like things each meant for a specific size stud! I can only imagine how much that set cost him!

hurm;
So now I have one vote bottoming tap, one vote thread chase...

just yank the old ones and squirt a little wd down there and blow em out...put a light down there and verify cleanliness and follow instructions on back of packaging..
double nut them in and use torque wrench to spec....done!

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Jan 2010 19:10 #345174 by hardr0ck68
cool, will do!

1977 kz650 c1

More
28 Jan 2010 19:40 #345181 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Installing cylinder studs
keith1 wrote:

snap on is snap on.....they price their stuff so high they can eat a couple.....[/quote]

you know what they sat about snap on.

you can buy better but you will never pay more.
just ask bluemeanie

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.