Cold Blooded 650

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
16 Jan 2010 09:04 #343096 by Kawickrice
Cold Blooded 650 was created by Kawickrice
I have posted some of this over at kz650.info but I figured I could post it here to.

My 77 KZ650B-1 has been hard to start when cold since the day I got it. I had my routine figured out, choke on, a short hit of the starter, two easy kicks then one good kick. Starting fluid has been used succesfully but is not good on the motor. As I get older this kinda sucks because I know it should not be like this, my 900 has never ever given me a fit when cold.

My carbs are dead on I believe. Once started and warm she idles and behaves excellent.

I am running points and factory coils, I put a relay on the coils because I was getting 10.4 volts to the coils. I now have proper voltage to the coils. (Old Man Rock will give me hell for the relay, but at least I did'nt say WG coil mod) :laugh:
Ignition timing is dead on.

I have a brand new battery with the proper voltage
I have "not" checked valve clearances yet.

Does anyone have a 650 with points and factory coils that starts up when cold?

I have a dyna ignition and coils on my wish list but I am financially embarrassed at the moment.

What else am I missing here? This has been this way for years and I just dealt with it, but since my 900 stars so easy I am on a mission to get my 650 to start just as easy.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2010 10:58 #343109 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Cold Blooded 650
K, Offer this, I have a '78 kz650 B2,And like yours' was cold blooded & hard starting for years. While bike ran well once warm, It required at least a minute of warm-up before riding, & even then if temps were cool required 3-4 miles before became "happy", And for cold starting the elect. starter was mostly useless.leading me to assume the starter was drawing so much current that my coils weren't saturating. I was wrong... after countless carb cleans, I apparently FINALLY got it right, My vm24's (mixture screw only, some have air & mix.screws) have 2 fuel mixture bleeds. 1 at lip of slide, (pilot jet circuit) 2nd 5-6mm downstream,(Mixture screw circuit.) when cleaning pilot circuit (spray carb clnr) remove pilot jet & spray thru its mound, & verify both these bleeds flow freely, you should get a strong stream at both, and through the pilot air jet at intake throat. while things are apart, verify not only choke plunger/passage is good, but that the metering tube which enters float bowl is clear, and the choke jet (invisible,residing in float bowl passage which accepts metering tube) is clear. I upped my pilot jet from 15 to 17.5, If bike sits for more than a couple days between rides, and you have a vac. petcock, switch to prime for a minute before cranking. since my latest trip to carb land, bike likes full choke, no throttle & a prod of button to start, comes to temp quicker etc. hope something here helps.G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
16 Jan 2010 12:40 #343120 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Cold Blooded 650
gane wrote:

K, Offer this, I have a '78 kz650 B2,And like yours' was cold blooded & hard starting for years. While bike ran well once warm, It required at least a minute of warm-up before riding, & even then if temps were cool required 3-4 miles before became "happy", And for cold starting the elect. starter was mostly useless.leading me to assume the starter was drawing so much current that my coils weren't saturating. I was wrong... after countless carb cleans, I apparently FINALLY got it right, My vm24's (mixture screw only, some have air & mix.screws) have 2 fuel mixture bleeds. 1 at lip of slide, (pilot jet circuit) 2nd 5-6mm downstream,(Mixture screw circuit.) when cleaning pilot circuit (spray carb clnr) remove pilot jet & spray thru its mound, & verify both these bleeds flow freely, you should get a strong stream at both, and through the pilot air jet at intake throat. while things are apart, verify not only choke plunger/passage is good, but that the metering tube which enters float bowl is clear, and the choke jet (invisible,residing in float bowl passage which accepts metering tube) is clear. I upped my pilot jet from 15 to 17.5, If bike sits for more than a couple days between rides, and you have a vac. petcock, switch to prime for a minute before cranking. since my latest trip to carb land, bike likes full choke, no throttle & a prod of button to start, comes to temp quicker etc. hope something here helps.G

i agree with the above stated fixes. i have the same bike!! although i do have coil mod, dyna ign and coils. i always thought these were quite cold blooded but once it starts and you ride it a mile its fine

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jan 2010 04:43 #343189 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Cold Blooded 650
fixer5000 wrote:

gane wrote:

i agree with the above stated fixes. i have the same bike!! although i do have coil mod, dyna ign and coils. i always thought these were quite cold blooded but once it starts and you ride it a mile its fine

I will have to pull the carbs(again) and see what I can find. They all take some time to get to operating temp, it is the initial starting thats giving me fits

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
17 Jan 2010 06:21 #343190 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Cold Blooded 650
My 650 used to start way too easy when it was cold and I knew that was not right. I could take it off choke almost right away and ride off. Found my floats too high and now it needs choke for a few minutes. But I'll tell you the ONE thing that made a 110% difference in starting and that was installing a Dyna S! I'm running stock exhaust, air box (K&N filter) and stock jetting (102.5, 15, 4th notch) Turn on prime for a minute, full choke, no throttle and it lights off before I can remove my finger from the starter button! I was so amazed at the difference from points to Dyna. I used to show my wife all the time and she would just give me a "that's nice dear" look and walk away (some people just don't understand). If you can swing it ($120) I would highly recommened a Dyna for sure!! B)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
17 Jan 2010 08:27 #343209 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Cold Blooded 650
Granted, different carbs but let's be real for a moment, pretty much all carbs have the same conceptual theory of operations....

As in accomplishing my CR jetting, in my research in carb theory 101, I have found nearly all to be ~ the same...
Pilot (slow jets) and needle cli[ ositiions for start up, idle to mid range...

In my case, warm or cold, could not use the choke plunger AT ALL due to running to rich on the jets. Went leaner where I was now able to choke ~ 1/8th up for cold start up... Now with the next size needle being leaner, 1/4 to 1/3rd up for cold start...

Out of the Keihin literature...
If you need a full pdf copy of this let me know...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
17 Jan 2010 08:44 #343210 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Cold Blooded 650
As can be reviewed in the 2 jetting curves between old Mikuni VM carbs and new CR specials... almost identical...;)

BTW... Since it was mentioned, another reason I'm not for the coil mod... Band aid of your carb jetting as well...

Sure to get home while on a rdie no doubt but most use this as a fix for carbon plugs when the real culprit is most likely in your jetting and carb ideal operations....;)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Mar 2010 07:59 #351751 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Cold Blooded 650
Got my Dyna coils and ignition for my 650 so maybe the cold blooded starts are a thing of the past. I will be installing it today if I feel up to it. I have been sick for a few days now and still feel like crap.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL